NordInvasion Forum
Idea to help new players. - Printable Version

+- NordInvasion Forum (https://forum.nordinvasion.com)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.nordinvasion.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Community Discussion & Engagement (https://forum.nordinvasion.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Idea to help new players. (/showthread.php?tid=44748)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Idea to help new players. - Wec - 15-10-2015

Hey guys, you might know me as "Haze" in game.

My cousin started playing with me, and early on he said, "Normal mode is kind of hard. Why isn't there an easy mode?" And I didn't have an answer.

Why don't we have an easy mode? Normal mode can be daunting for the new players. If they try to solo it, they'd never get past wave one. And even with people, the fact that they could get killed in one hit might be a little disheartening.

I'm not sure how hard it would be, but I think an "Easy" server of sorts would really help encourage new players.

Some ideas I had for an Easy server:
  • Only 10 waves, to make the matches short and sweet.
  • Much easier enemies, so the new players can feel like they're doing damage they'll be able to kill things and not get killed in one or two hits.
  • Double EXP until level 13 (Tier 2) so the new players can quickly get to a level where they're helpful on a normal server (maybe this rule could only apply to their first character, so subsequent characters take a normal amount of time to level).
  • Easy to complete Easy mode quests so they have something to work toward.
  • Cap the EXP at level 13 so anyone above T2 does not gain exp.

I'd like to hear your feedback. Thanks!

Re: Idea to help new players. - DruggedUpTurtle - 15-10-2015

Back when I first played NordInvasion I found myself dying way too much in Normal and it put me off the game, I didn't like dying and I didn't like leeching (before this account was made).

I do kinda like a baby mode to put new players on their first steps but sometimes you have people like CarlUlfric (may he rest in peace) protected by members of houses in normal servers.

Back to what I was going to say, easy mode might be okay, but things seem fine as they are as long as recruits stay by their fellow armoured Swadians. On other mods you start with barely nothing (apart from a few) and usually it has always been the hard way, to level up and learn the game through dying and getting assistance from people like you. Red shirts tend to never ask questions in game, they're mostly interested in my characters beautiful face.

Turtle

Re: Idea to help new players. - Wec - 15-10-2015

Quote:_DruggedUpTurtle link=topic=48465.msg245170#msg245170 date=1444878261]
Back when I first played NordInvasion I found myself dying way too much in Normal and it put me off the game, I didn't like dying and I didn't like leeching (before this account was made).

I do kinda like a baby mode to put new players on their first steps but sometimes you have people like CarlUlfric (may he rest in peace) protected by members of houses in normal servers.

Back to what I was going to say, easy mode might be okay, but things seem fine as they are as long as recruits stay by their fellow armoured Swadians. On other mods you start with barely nothing (apart from a few) and usually it has always been the hard way, to level up and learn the game through dying and getting assistance from people like you. Red shirts tend to never ask questions in game, they're mostly interested in my characters beautiful face.

Turtle

I agree, people can get by with standing behind elder players like us, but what really compelled me to suggest this was that a friend who tried the game out on his own spent a while trying to solo normal because he was too embarrassed to leech off a more full game (he didn't want to seem useless, especially). But of course trying to solo normal got him nowhere and he told me how frustrated he was with the game. Of course I simply hopped on and we joined a semi-populated server and everything was dandy but I still think it'd be nice to have an easy server so the new players don't have to feel useless and can learn through live-fire action.

Re: Idea to help new players. - darklit - 15-10-2015

Only problem I see is what gets easier than a nord peasant? It would have to be a naked guy with fists for like the first 5 waves. The boss would be like a huscarl lol. Also no legandaries should be dropped in this baby mode because it would be exploited by better players. I would be able to complete a baby mode server super super easy. Other than that, it's a cool idea. I would prefer cav or a harder than rag mode implemented/fixed

Re: Idea to help new players. - Stillicho - 15-10-2015

it's kinda strange to think that i still join normal servers to help out sometimes but i see t2's wiping constantly on wave 4 bosses and getting frustrated and a t3 trying to help them out late at night when no one is on sometimes. i'd agree with darklit that cav needs to get fixed first though as that's long overdue and still incomplete.

Re: Idea to help new players. - DeadOtter - 15-10-2015

Quote:_DruggedUpTurtle link=topic=48465.msg245170#msg245170 date=1444878261]

CARL CARL CARL CARL CARL, i'm sad we failed him Sad

(15-10-2015, 06:29 AM)FV_darklit link Wrote: Only problem I see is what gets easier than a nord peasant? It would have to be a naked guy with fists for like the first 5 waves. The boss would be like a huscarl lol. Also no legandaries should be dropped in this baby mode because it would be exploited by better players. I would be able to complete a baby mode server super super easy. Other than that, it's a cool idea. I would prefer cav or a harder than rag mode implemented/fixed

I think it might be possible to give the peasants less hitpoints so they're even easier to kill? But I agree there's not much we can do. Maybe give them even weaker weapons too? Like a dull practice sword? Broken pitchforks? Maybe a few less enemies per wave, or slower running enemies.

And yes, definitely no legendaries.

And yes, I agree, cav needs to be worked on too, but I still think something like this should be worked on.

(15-10-2015, 07:58 AM)Sharmastyle link Wrote: it's kinda strange to think that i still join normal servers to help out sometimes but i see t2's wiping constantly on wave 4 bosses and getting frustrated and a t3 trying to help them out late at night when no one is on sometimes. i'd agree with darklit that cav needs to get fixed first though as that's long overdue and still incomplete.

This is exactly what I'm referring to. It's hard for people to get past wave 8 especially. I imagine an "Easy" mode would just really encourage new players. Also it makes them learn by playing. Another reason it's harder for new players to survive on normal is because they don't know what to expect and how to handle some situations.

i understand all of this but i think its a responsibility from all experienced players to go into normal and help players sometimes, even if you mess about a bit as long as you show the fundamentals of the game people will pick it up, it will let them see how to react on different waves and to then gain levels because they are surviving longer, we went in as a group of 6 the other day all fully kitted up and the newer players were taking note of where to stand and what waves need a strong shield wall etc

(15-10-2015, 01:51 PM)DeadOtter/DrCox link Wrote: i understand all of this but i think its a responsibility from all experienced players to go into normal and help players sometimes, even if you mess about a bit as long as you show the fundamentals of the game people will pick it up, it will let them see how to react on different waves and to then gain levels because they are surviving longer, we went in as a group of 6 the other day all fully kitted up and the newer players were taking note of where to stand and what waves need a strong shield wall etc

Which is perfect and ideal, but what if there aren't 6 heroes to help the new players?

But also I totally agree, if we want to foster new players, we need to play normal with them. But there should be other alternatives.

there is always players don't have to be heroes, T4 is good enough to help

many a time hard and rag runs don't succeed and if that is the case i know a few of us go into the normal runs