NordInvasion Forum
Quests - Printable Version

+- NordInvasion Forum (https://forum.nordinvasion.com)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.nordinvasion.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Community Projects (https://forum.nordinvasion.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+---- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.nordinvasion.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=77)
+---- Thread: Quests (/showthread.php?tid=65111)

Pages: 1 2 3

Quests - Winter - 13-02-2018

Many quests at this point are either too small of a reward to be noticeable or have a huge reward but can only be completed once per character.  Quests of the latter category, particularly PrimeSlayer and Legacy of a Hero, do not seem properly balanced.  At this point in time, it feels like it gives incentive to play a character to get the kills required as quickly as possible, then move on to the next character so you can start working on the quest to get that massive reward again.  I would personally prefer quests that take a longer amount of time to complete with decent rewards that are infinitely repeatable.  Quests that require only boss kills with massive rewards also seem to get players in the mentality of "needing the kill" to get that previously mentioned massive reward.  In the past, the reward was much lower and it was just a neat thing that popped up when you occasionally managed to get the proper kills, not a competition to get 500k gold on that character as quickly as possible.  I'd like to return to this system, as well as implement quests that take a long time to complete and require a large array of bots for large rewards, and smaller quests with lower amounts of bots.

Please share your ideas on what quests should be like.  What are your preferred types of quests to complete?  Are there any that you hate and would like to have none of?

RE: Quests - Tjav - 13-02-2018

repeatable quests, that take a long time to complete, but with decent rewards, the higher the reward, the longer it should take, both to complete but also before you can do it again

RE: Quests - Katarak - 13-02-2018

I think there should be more quest for only one time but with much reward. And generally there should be more quest added.

RE: Quests - captain_floofy - 13-02-2018

I have never completed either PrimeSlayer or Legacy of a Hero on any of my characters so I cannot speak to making new characters to get the reward again. What I would say is if we want to have those big ticket quests then make them 1 time per account or something so that once someone does them they are no longer fighting to get a specific kill.

I like the small repeatable/ larger repeatable quests to be honest, even make the rewards smaller so it is not as big of a deal to not get a specific kill or set of kills, that way it is nice but will keep the greed down. As it is with the 2 large quests people do not work together to kill the bots or boss as much as they should. They are more concerned with killing the boss they need then are with working as a team, IE: Tomeing in dead, keeping boss contained, or healing. A easy example of this is everyone stops shooting to tome in the dead but those few people who keep shooting and gets the kill before the tome. It has created a large amount of selfishness for the mod that I believe you have very clearly made to be a team effort with not one individual shinning or being more important then any others.

Maybe kills for quests could be based off of how many of x bot's die on the run you are apart of. That way even the shielder or healer also gets the quest completed for doing their job to help the team win. So you will complete the quest if you successfully complete 20 or 50 runs or whatever is needed with a full server or something like that. Then "needing a specific kill" no longer matters so you create a more team work oriented environment.

RE: Quests - Malong - 13-02-2018

(13-02-2018, 05:10 PM)Winter Wrote: Quests of the latter category, particularly PrimeSlayer and Legacy of a Hero, do not seem properly balanced.  At this point in time, it feels like it gives incentive to play a character to get the kills required as quickly as possible, then move on to the next character so you can start working on the quest to get that massive reward again...

In the past, the reward was much lower and it was just a neat thing that popped up when you occasionally managed to get the proper kills, not a competition to get 500k gold on that character as quickly as possible.  I'd like to return to this system, as well as implement quests that take a long time to complete and require a large array of bots for large rewards, and smaller quests with lower amounts of bots.

Your post seems to frame the perceived issue being that people want to efficiently collect rewards on multiple characters. If this is the case, is there concrete evidence that people did not cycle through characters for the rewards before the rewards changed? Even in the old days of the rewards being 50k, I knew players that would cycle through their characters to finish these quests anyway. The important analysis would be players' behavior after they complete these quests on their characters, which has not happened yet. My intuition is that after people collect front-loaded rewards, they will just play whatever characters they want.

RE: Quests - Winter - 13-02-2018

(13-02-2018, 07:07 PM)Malong Wrote: Your post seems to frame the perceived issue being that people want to efficiently collect rewards on multiple characters. If this is the case, is there concrete evidence that people did not cycle through characters for the rewards? Even in the old days of the rewards being 50k, I knew players that would cycle through their characters to finish these quests anyway. The important analysis would be players' behavior after they complete these quests on their characters, which has not happened yet. My intuition is that after people collect front-loaded rewards,  they will just play whatever characters they want.

True, it would be hard to prove either way people's playing habits in relation to quests that long ago.  I can only say I remember the people I played with, to my knowledge, and myself typically not caring as much about switching characters to farm this, but it is entirely possible that this is wrong or that the majority of players that I did not know at the time behaved differently.  I don't really remember people calling out at every event or in runs when they needed certain boss kills, but I may be remembering wrong or played with different people at the time.  Regardless, if these quests were infinitely repeatable and offered lowered rewards there would be less pressure to play a specific character continuously to get the large reward.  I'd even say that splitting them up between modes would be a positive change, since you wouldn't need to collect as many different "difficult" boss kills to complete one quest.

RE: Quests - Sargent Q - 13-02-2018

I have what is probably a very unpopular opinion on this, and would rather have quests be the main source of gold. Not the only source, but the main one.

As most people who play with me know, I spend a lot of time dead. Either due to bad luck or a unwillingness to just sit back and wait. I would rather have the kills i get when i am alive be what gets me gold than the assist XP from sitting in base doing basically nothing.

I would be interested in seeing the stats on completing the big quests. I would wager most people don't have a lot. Outliers like NKA excluded. Personally I don't think I have been able to do them more than 5 times since the rework.

RE: Quests - Winter - 13-02-2018

(13-02-2018, 07:36 PM)Sargent Q Wrote: I have what is probably a very unpopular opinion on this, and would rather have quests be the main source of gold.  Not the only source, but the main one.  

As most people who play with me know,  I spend a lot of time dead.  Either due to bad luck or a unwillingness to just sit back and wait.  I would rather have the kills i get when i am alive be what gets me gold than the assist XP from sitting in base doing basically nothing.  

I would be interested in seeing the stats on completing the big quests.  I would wager most people don't have a lot.  Outliers like NKA excluded.  Personally I don't think I have been able to do them more than 5 times since the rework.

You can be sitting in base doing lots of things, too Wink

821 completions of PrimeSlayer and Legacy of a Hero since November 30th, 2016 * 500k = 410,500,000 gold.  A lot of people have quite a few.  The person with the most only has 48 completions.

RE: Quests - VM_Sargent_X - 13-02-2018

(13-02-2018, 08:27 PM)Winter Wrote: 821 completions of PrimeSlayer and Legacy of a Hero since November 30th, 2016 * 500k = 410,500,000 gold.  A lot of people have quite a few.  The person with the most only has 48 completions.

Reported Gold spent on just Phoenix feathers for the Legendary Upgrades 295,000,000. Assuming that nobody crafted any items and just used items that were already crafted to upgrade the legendarys

RE: Quests - Malong - 13-02-2018

(13-02-2018, 08:27 PM)Winter Wrote:
(13-02-2018, 07:36 PM)Sargent Q Wrote: I have what is probably a very unpopular opinion on this, and would rather have quests be the main source of gold.  Not the only source, but the main one.  

As most people who play with me know,  I spend a lot of time dead.  Either due to bad luck or a unwillingness to just sit back and wait.  I would rather have the kills i get when i am alive be what gets me gold than the assist XP from sitting in base doing basically nothing.  

I would be interested in seeing the stats on completing the big quests.  I would wager most people don't have a lot.  Outliers like NKA excluded.  Personally I don't think I have been able to do them more than 5 times since the rework.

You can be sitting in base doing lots of things, too Wink

821 completions of PrimeSlayer and Legacy of a Hero since November 30th, 2016 * 500k = 410,500,000 gold.  A lot of people have quite a few.  The person with the most Nka only has 48 completions.

FTFY.

But seriously, I hope there are metrics for before that period as well. Also, I think we should be looking at expected completion frequency before and after the changes. This requires eliminating variables such as activity of the mod and mathematical modeling based on maturity of the mod (e.g. eligible characters, etc). This could be a cool community data science project.