Emails are disabled - for account issues, post in #help on the NI Discord.

Grammar Problems
Also, when using apostrophes for possessive plurals, put the apostrophe in front of the  s

Ex. The bears' honey, The worms' predators, the birds' nests.

There are, however, some special cases in which the pluarl form of the verb is treated as singular as the pluarl form is created without s and thus a 's is added instead of s'.

Ex. The children's toys, the men's clothing, the women's griping.
child ->children instead of childs
man->men instead of mans
woman->women instead of womans
When life gives you lemons, make apple juice and watch the world wonder.
One must also remember that essentially no one will speak true "correct" English.
SB_Talgion_Cheeseliker (Commando/Militia)
SB_Hyrpyndyrpyn_IV (Skirmisher)
Someone had to do it ... so here it comes ...

A panda walks into a café. He orders a sandwich, eats it, then draws a gun and proceeds to fire it at the other patrons.

'Why?' asks the confused, surviving waiter amidst the carnage, as the panda makes towards the exit. The panda produces a badly punctuated wildlife manual and tosses it over his shoulder.

'Well, I'm a panda,' he says, at the door. 'Look it up.'
The waiter turns to the relevant entry in the manual and, sure enough, finds an explanation. 'Panda. Large black-and-white bear-like mammal, native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves.
A few relics from English class proving that punctuation can be rather important!

Woman without her man is nothing.

Woman: without her, man is nothing.

Woman, without her man, is nothing.

[Image: Punctuation-saves-lives.jpg]
Give a man a fish, and you have fed him for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will continue fishing even if you give him a fish.
- Fingus
(27-03-2012, 07:10 AM)_Sphinx_ link Wrote: Someone had to do it ... so here it comes ...

A panda walks into a café. He orders a sandwich, eats it, then draws a gun and proceeds to fire it at the other patrons.

'Why?' asks the confused, surviving waiter amidst the carnage, as the panda makes towards the exit. The panda produces a badly punctuated wildlife manual and tosses it over his shoulder.

'Well, I'm a panda,' he says, at the door. 'Look it up.'
The waiter turns to the relevant entry in the manual and, sure enough, finds an explanation. 'Panda. Large black-and-white bear-like mammal, native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves.

Funny you should mention that book, there is a copy floating around in my house. Tongue
Start the game already!
(27-03-2012, 01:51 AM)Sparhawk link Wrote: Yes, it means that one or more letters are being left out where the apostrophe is. Just an abbreviation.

I've = I have
I'll  = I will
I'm  = I am

"Won't" is one that baffles me though. I know it means "will not" but how did it become w,o,n,'t?

One problem most people have that I do know about is over using commas. You used one too many in your last post I think, but for being French, you type way better than a lot of native American or English people I've seem.

I'm only 17 though and I don't quite know everything there is to know about grammar, so I may need help as well. Wink

Thanks! (even if I'm suppose to know those Tongue it's still a good reminder!)
For the overuse of commas, well, in French, I tend to make long sentence, and, as we all know, commas are cool, and we must remember that people love to use them, and that we are all cool about them, don't we?

Wink

(27-03-2012, 03:39 AM)Jeffacake link Wrote: Also, when using apostrophes for possessive plurals, put the apostrophe in front of the  s

Ex. The bears' honey, The worms' predators, the birds' nests.

There are, however, some special cases in which the pluarl form of the verb is treated as singular as the pluarl form is created without s and thus a 's is added instead of s'.

Ex. The children's toys, the men's clothing, the women's griping.
child ->children instead of childs
man->men instead of mans
woman->women instead of womans

Ahhh

I always got problem with those thing... thanks for adding that rule about apostrophe only when word finish with ''s'' that explain lots of apostrophes!

And now another question :

Is there a noticeable difference between written American English and England one?

Because I learn American one, but read England and, for my French dude eyes, there is not much.

Farewell.

hum.. any chess player?
hook me up on chess.com : my nickname is LeIsatis!
Small rules basically which don't make much difference (unless it's about formality and such). American English for instance has the spelling 'color' while British English uses 'colour'.
(31-03-2012, 10:02 PM)Kwal link Wrote: Small rules basically which don't make much difference (unless it's about formality and such). American English for instance has the spelling 'color' while British English uses 'colour'.

There are also differences between American and British English with certain words ending in "er" sound. For example, in American English it would be "center," whereas in British English it's "centre." Essentially, they're both correct. ("saber" and "sabre," "theater" and "theatre," etc)
So England English should be easier for poor French like me.

(center : centre : centre    theater : theatre : théâtre    saber : sabre : sabre )

cool!
hum.. any chess player?
hook me up on chess.com : my nickname is LeIsatis!
Oh, and in American English it's "gray," whereas in British English it's spelled "grey." (I use the latter spelling. And back to the "color/colour" thing, I spell [as you will easily be able to see] "behaviour" with a "u")