Emails are disabled - for account issues, post in #help on the NI Discord.

Cavalry melee weapons choice
As a commando lover and cavalry mode addicted, this question come spontaneously: what is the best melee weapon for cav?

Obviously naming the highest damaging 2h swords is not the answer, since on horseback all the 2h weapons recive a damage penalty as if they were bastard weapons wielded one hand. Doing the math a legacy ends up having roughly the same damage of a steel sword, of course retainig the reach advantage, but not usable with a shield. Running around with a 2h sword and no shield is a problem on waves 17 and 19 where those pesky mercenary horse archers menace you, or even spear thowers in lower waves. A bastard sword like aurora blade can be used with a shield, has good reach, but still suffers the damage reduction, while an high-end 1h sword can be used with a shield, has better damage, but lower reach.

So, in the end, what is your favourite melee weapon for cavalry? (excludindg couchable lances)
(21-03-2016, 01:31 PM)keru_90 Wrote: As a commando lover and cavalry mode addicted, this question come spontaneously: what is the best melee weapon for cav?

Obviously naming the highest damaging 2h swords is not the answer, since on horseback all the 2h weapons recive a damage penalty as if they were bastard weapons wielded one hand. Doing the math a legacy ends up having roughly the same damage of a steel sword, of course retainig the reach advantage, but not usable with a shield. Running around with a 2h sword and no shield is a problem on waves 17 and 19 where those pesky mercenary horse archers menace you, or even spear thowers in lower waves. A bastard sword like aurora blade can be used with a shield, has good reach, but still suffers the damage reduction, while an high-end 1h sword can be used with a shield, has better damage, but lower reach.

So, in the end, what is your favourite melee weapon for cavalry? (excludindg couchable lances)

I still believe that the Aurora is a very good choice for a cavalry, because of length (140 for a bastard sword!). Speed is not that important since you just made one slash while passing by and its just a matter of learning how early you have to start a swing. Keep in mind that you receive a bonus to damage from speed as well. Other bastard sword are not that good because they don't have much bigger dmg output then some 1h (the Justice/Injustice might be exception).
The big vice of using 2h is a lack of shield which become evident as soon as "shotgun" archers appear, but 2h hammers seems to work very well (at least against heavily armoured late waves bots).

I use the Hero's Despair (50c, 102 length) on my RG char and its pretty good but nothing exceptional. The Swadian Courage is very similar (it has 103 length). I'm planing to get the Fire Blade for my Warden (50c, 105 length) and the fact that I like playing on a cavalry server is a main reason here.

In the end you still should rely on lances in my opinion, but for that you need to work in pairs.
BoS_Niezdara - LVL 52 Repeaterman - Blacksmith LVL 22 | BoS_Niezdara_Guard - LVL 52 Royal Guard - Armorsmith LVL 25 | BoS_Niezdara_Peltast - LVL 52 Master Peltast - Alchemist LVL 25 | BoS_Niezdara_Warden - LVL 52 Warden
Yep Aurora is quite a good choice in my opinion.
I had to get used to the Swing delay. But its blow is pretty hard. Its my favourite Weapon in Cav since it can also use a Shield.
(21-03-2016, 03:11 PM)Niezdara Wrote: In the end you still should rely on lances in my opinion, but for that you need to work in pairs.

Yeah, lance is awesome especially on wave 16 if you have a jousting partner, but against other mounted opponents (excuding guys on ponies) lance charge is a suicide. I thought about getting a swadian hope for my RG (50c 103 reach) that seems good also for cav
I can vouch for the Swadian Hope. 54c, ~100 length so hitting things isn't too hard and pretty good speed on top of that. I can also vouch for the Aurora Blade, although I used it for a short time, hits like a truck and has the length to back it up. Makes it easier to handle spear troops with that 140 reach.
if you have problem of the model variety send it to winter xen winter me winter me xen because it'll piss him off
(21-03-2016, 03:33 PM)Terath Wrote: I can vouch for the Swadian Hope. 54c, ~100 length so hitting things isn't too hard and pretty good speed on top of that. I can also vouch for the Aurora Blade, although I used it for a short time, hits like a truck and has the length to back it up. Makes it easier to handle spear troops with that 140 reach.

Wait the swadian hope is 54c? I thougt it was 50c as written in the post "the complete guide to the swadian equipment" but i guess it must be outdated
(21-03-2016, 03:41 PM)keru_90 Wrote:
(21-03-2016, 03:33 PM)Terath Wrote: I can vouch for the Swadian Hope. 54c, ~100 length so hitting things isn't too hard and pretty good speed on top of that. I can also vouch for the Aurora Blade, although I used it for a short time, hits like a truck and has the length to back it up. Makes it easier to handle spear troops with that 140 reach.

Wait the swadian hope is 54c? I thougt it was 50c as written in the post "the complete guide to the swadian equipment" but i guess it must be outdated

He probably meant to write the Swadian Courage. Its of course great but the Legionnaire only.

Woha! I've checked the files and it really has 54c. Why they buffed it so much?? 14 lvl blacksmith weapon better than house craftable swords? seriously?
BoS_Niezdara - LVL 52 Repeaterman - Blacksmith LVL 22 | BoS_Niezdara_Guard - LVL 52 Royal Guard - Armorsmith LVL 25 | BoS_Niezdara_Peltast - LVL 52 Master Peltast - Alchemist LVL 25 | BoS_Niezdara_Warden - LVL 52 Warden
(21-03-2016, 04:12 PM)Niezdara Wrote: Woha! I've checked the files and it really has 54c. Why they buffed it so much?? 14 lvl blacksmith weapon better than house craftable swords? seriously?

Good news for a poor like me  Big Grin
Dunno, and I'm not complaining. It sat at 50c and pretty slow for a very long time, and it was still more expensive than the house crafted swords (or was at the time). It's better than the house crafted swords because it costs more to make it. House crafting is just another means of crafting something; doesn't mean all house crafted has to be better than normal crafting. Well deserved buff IMO.
if you have problem of the model variety send it to winter xen winter me winter me xen because it'll piss him off
(21-03-2016, 04:32 PM)Terath Wrote: It's better than the house crafted swords because it costs more to make it. House crafting is just another means of crafting something; doesn't mean all house crafted has to be better than normal crafting.

Please do the math. They were always about the same costly to make. The cost of materials were changing over time but differences were small.

Quote:Well deserved buff IMO.

Of course, of course... because every buff made by the dev team is buff well deserved, am I right?
Whatever, nothing can surprise me here any more.