Emails are disabled - for account issues, post in #help on the NI Discord.

Vikings
I noticed this on LoveFilm the other day and watched the first 2 episodes. I think it's really good, however I cannot comment on the accuracy of the show as I don't know much about Vikings.
"And it goes a little something like this..."
Pretty accurate in some aspects, but I haven't watched enough to be able to nitpick. So far I know they're taking a lot of liberty with the politics. In the first episode someone gets sentenced to death which is really awkward. About the worst sentence in that time was to be exiled. And the leader seems to be like a dictator, which is really difficult to manage with such small communities and is not historically accurate.

I dislike that they're depicting the vikings yet again as harsh savages in ways that they were not, that is already the picture that everyone is used to since the 50's and it gets really old for me. I did enjoy some things, the fight scene at the beginning was pretty cool, and the filming and acting were all nice to watch. Especially the two thugs with their rape-faces, I couldn't stop laughing Big Grin

I know that there has been a fair amount of revisionist history about the Vikings, portraying them as traders not raiders and certain of aspects of their society seem remarkably different and interesting. However, I personally sit with Simon Schama's view that if you look at a people long enough, you will find something nice to say about them.
(10-06-2013, 02:45 PM)Barristan link Wrote:I know that there has been a fair amount of revisionist history about the Vikings, portraying them as traders not raiders and certain of aspects of their society seem remarkably different and interesting. However, I personally sit with Simon Schama's view that if you look at a people long enough, you will find something nice to say about them.
... I still have nothing nice to say about Australians  ???

The views expressed in the post do not necessarily reflect the views of the author and no liability will vest in the author of this post. Thank you and good afternoon.
Give a man a fish, and you have fed him for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will continue fishing even if you give him a fish.
- Fingus
(10-06-2013, 02:47 PM)Hypernoma link Wrote:[quote author=Barristan link=topic=11241.msg116594#msg116594 date=1370875503]
I know that there has been a fair amount of revisionist history about the Vikings, portraying them as traders not raiders and certain of aspects of their society seem remarkably different and interesting. However, I personally sit with Simon Schama's view that if you look at a people long enough, you will find something nice to say about them.
... I still have nothing nice to say about Australians  ???

The views expressed in the post do not necessarily reflect the views of the author and no liability will vest in the author of this post. Thank you and good afternoon.
[/quote]

Well played.... Now go drink some fosters ya cheap bugger.
(10-06-2013, 02:45 PM)Barristan link Wrote:I know that there has been a fair amount of revisionist history about the Vikings, portraying them as traders not raiders and certain of aspects of their society seem remarkably different and interesting. However, I personally sit with Simon Schama's view that if you look at a people long enough, you will find something nice to say about them.

Reminds me of a history book that tried to portray Vikings as early advancers of democracies.

My professor said that was garbage and to disregard anything involving that, it wouldn't be tested on.

And if some people terrorized your ancestors you're likely to find more negative things to say about them. That vikings raided, plundered and whatnot does not mean that their societies weren't sophisticated. That's why I wrote: "I dislike that they're depicting the vikings yet again as harsh savages in ways that they were not". You can easily make up a story about vikings with plenty of war, sex and cruelty without having to twist history and enforce stereotypes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2TM6RyBrnQ

Last post on this thread of thought and then back to discussion on the actual tv show Wink
Give a man a fish, and you have fed him for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will continue fishing even if you give him a fish.
- Fingus
Season 2 has commenced!
- Fingus
Recently finished season 1, was one hell of a show  Wink
Floke is best character by far  Smile
My Characters!

VLKA_Handef_Snizel - Royal Gaurd
VLKA_Handef - Master Peltast
VLKA_HybridLeHandef - Sharpshooter
VLKA_Snizel - Ranger