NordInvasion Forum

Full Version: Cabal of Crazed Commanders
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So, recently, I was playing the Napoleonic Wars "expansion module whatever-the-fuck" for Warband. I had noticed an uprising of servers that use the game mode of Commander. What you do in Commander mode is you spawn as the officer of your own regiment, fit with whatever balanced amount of NPC's you get at the beginning of the round. On both teams, there are players, and the players get bots. You use the single-player commands, F1, F2, F3 and onward to command your men to do your willing. I also noticed something else, in this gamemode - there is nearly an over-abundance of teamwork. Instead of dropping your scope at the beginning of each round, because you're an officer, it would be wise to keep it and study where the enemy players are moving. People would often mix regiments together to create a stronger attacking force, or plan out where the team should focus the attack, or even attack at all, staying to defend from the attackers.

I thought this was amazing. A whatever-the-fuck that had players leading an army alongside other players against players leading armies, jam-packed with teamwork? Awesome!

I played for hours and hours on end, enjoying the time I spent with the server, and for some odd reason everybody was having a great time - it didn't matter if they were winning or losing. They played the game like a game, and kept it in the middle where it should be, not too serious to cry over spilt riflemen or to kamikaze useful soldiers into a wall of spiky things, because they simple do not care.

The next day, as per usual, I get on NordInvasion. I played a couple of rounds, hit some things, shot some stuff, the usual. I then thought back to Commander, and what influence it would have in other mods, if it ever were to happen. I thought of cRPG first, for some odd reason, I don't even play the damn thing - but it wouldn't have fit, seeing as how cRPG is not about leading soldiers across a battlefield, cRPG is about building and expanding upon a character, having fun with friends, and most importantly, playing siege a lot and bitching about how the timer for respawn is too long.

Then, I thought about NordInvasion. At first I started to have my doubts, see, but my brain countered every argument I could muster - (P is problem, A is answer to problem.)
P - The servers would not be able to handle the stress of that many bots on the battlefield at once.
A - Shut up brain, you know the entire module and servers are built around literally have a LOT OF BOTS.
P - Who will fight for the Nords? This mod is about killing the Nords, the Swadians KILLING the Nords. Players cannot play as Nords!
A - You're right - players won't play as Nords. Bots will have to fill their place.
P - Bots are way too stupid to play as an actual force against the players. The players would be able to decimate the Nords easily, because the Nords are not fighting in organized lines and ranks like the players are commanding their soldiers to.
A - While this may be true, there is a workaround. In single-player, the AI enemy side that you are fighting against, organize themself and attack with ranged until the player or one of the player's bots are in range. You can snag this code and dump it onto the bots.
P - How will they get the code for this, or the time to make it?!
A - Ask TaleWorlds for the code, or if it's open-source, use it. Make a few edits, done.
P - Nobody will work together!
A - Seeing as how the entire team will wipe in NW if nobody works together, I'm sure the players will realise on NI it is no different. Fight alone and you're a dead man, fight together and you're still probably a dead man, but you lasted longer, right?
P - The developers do not have time to make this!
A - Not true! If everything goes right, this can be done pretty quickly in modding terms, because the code will not be hand-stitched, it will be taken from other areas and implemented with few changes.
P - uhh..
A - Yeah, that's right. Shut up.

I got about this far before I realized that maybe it's not such a bad idea after all.

I mean, what's wrong with a new gamemode that doesn't take that long to complete, still fits the theme of the game (kill Nords.), and requires teamwork, which is what the game is based off of and around? I feel like it would be a fun new addition to the module that, after a long time, will still be loads of fun to play with friends.

Now, some of the problems I did think of would be having to create a Swadian set of NPC's for the Swadians, and a way to make sure people don't pick the best every time, like a money system that is separate of the money players get by playing the normal gamemode. I thought of Faction points to be a great use of this, but mind you, the faction points don't go down. They stay where they are, but you can unlock better and better soldiers by getting a higher faction point score.

Oh, I just solved a problem. Oops.

I guess another issue was finding the balance between how many bots the players should have and how many bots the Nords should have in comparison to the player. I mean, if there's too many Swadians it's too easy, but if there's too many Nords, it becomes kiting but with more Nords, and I'd hate to have that.

The maps would be big, open fields with details strewn about here and there, a couple hills, mountains, foliage, trees, the works. I feel like the maps we currently have in rotation for the standard gamemode are amazingly too small for this gamemode. Then again, making new maps is hard - but not when it's an open field.

Alright, I think that's enough for now. I have to go to bed, it's 4:11 AM and I have boxing practice tomorrow.
-Terath
Note - Feel absolutely free to leave your opinion below. Nothing is holding you back, except for the forum rules and common sense.
I actually quite like this idea. Would help bring some more players back I think and provide more interest in new ones. However it would be more accurate to say it would be more like Captain Co-Op in fire and sword.
Unfortunately, from my limited knowledge of Warband coding, it's not that easy. You'll have to get someone else for the specifics, but I'm 95% sure that Singleplayer coding is very different from Multiplayer.

Leaving that aside, I like this idea. I like it a lot. Regarding how you're thinking of making it work, I think there's one improvement to make. You've said that there should be big, open maps made for a mode like this. I think, however, that it would be better if maps for such a mode would be randomly generated. If you have a couple of fixed maps, a gamemode like this would quickly turn into standard NI gameplay of huddling in a set corner, because everyone already played that map countless of times and knows that's the spot that the easiest to defend. A random map, however, would force you to consider where to go every time the map changes.

I said above that a commander battle against bots would likely be impossible. Porting over something like Captain Coop, however, is not.
For those of you who haven't played With Fire and Sword, Captain Coop is a multiplayer gamemode that allows every player to take along up to 6 bots, and fight together against bots, NI style. Bots get progressively harder, but your own bots and the equipment you can bring also get stronger as you get further in. I think this would add nicely to NI, and I'd certainly support such a change.
(12-07-2014, 11:50 AM)Maroon link Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately, from my limited knowledge of Warband coding, it's not that easy. You'll have to get someone else for the specifics, but I'm 95% sure that Singleplayer coding is very different from Multiplayer.

Leaving that aside, I like this idea. I like it a lot. Regarding how you're thinking of making it work, I think there's one improvement to make. You've said that there should be big, open maps made for a mode like this. I think, however, that it would be better if maps for such a mode would be randomly generated. If you have a couple of fixed maps, a gamemode like this would quickly turn into standard NI gameplay of huddling in a set corner, because everyone already played that map countless of times and knows that's the spot that the easiest to defend. A random map, however, would force you to consider where to go every time the map changes.

I said above that a commander battle against bots would likely be impossible. Porting over something like Captain Coop, however, is not.
For those of you who haven't played With Fire and Sword, Captain Coop is a multiplayer gamemode that allows every player to take along up to 6 bots, and fight together against bots, NI style. Bots get progressively harder, but your own bots and the equipment you can bring also get stronger as you get further in. I think this would add nicely to NI, and I'd certainly support such a change.

Oh.
To not being able to port over the code from singleplayer, I am sad. It fits near perfectly. However..
I have never played Fire & Sword. I do not know what it is about, how it works, anything along those lines. If there is a solution in there somewhere to the issue at hand, not being able to port the code over, then so be it, use the Fire & Sword code.
To the maps, I completely agree. Now that I see that it would just be camping with a lot more people, I think using randomly generated maps would be a great way to make it impossible to camp in one place until the wave is over.
Captain Coop sounds hilariously fun, so I'm glad it'll fit NI quite nicely. I'd absolutely adore this gamemode if it were to come out.

Suns

Pretty good idea. Just need to make a set of buyable and upgradable NPCs for the Swadians. Faction Points should be the currency for this gamemode. Another issue would be balancing the number of bots per side, but at the same time, making the server manageable to play. Sometimes when I play Commander Battle on NW with 400+ bots on the battlefield, I can't switch between weapons in my inventory. This could just be my computer, but not so sure. A set amount of bots per player would also have to be determined.

As an example for the buyable NPCs

Recruits-500FP?
Class:Infantry
Body Armor:20 (Swadian Recruit Armor)
Head Armor:7 (Arming Cap)
Leg Armor:14 (Ankle Boots)
Power Strike:1
Ironflesh:0
Athletics:2
Shield:1
Strength:6
Agility:6
Health:50
One-Handed Wpf:75
Equipment:Short Sword, Old Heater Shield, and Worn Darts.

Based mostly off redshirts.  Tongue

Edit:After thinking about it, it would seem reasonable to make this mode go in waves. There can be 20 waves just like in the other ones. Every time the players win, the map would change but advance to the next stage. The first wave could be peasants, then so on. 1-8 could be Normal based bots, 9-15 Hard, and 16-20 Ragnarok. Or, the spawns could be just like reinforcements in the singleplayer campaign of Native. Just a thought on that part. ^^
I agree completely, Suns. Maybe, hopefully, this will happen. Probably not though.
It's probably going to fall under the stacks of crouching shield bashing requests :/

Suns

Why don't we make it like the 15th humans vs bots server?

The majority of players are on the Swadian side, while the nord team is command by 3-5 human players who each control a balanced number of nord bots. The Nord team would be auto-locked to a certain number of commanders, maybe 5 at most.

Suns

(30-07-2014, 08:37 PM)synario link Wrote: [ -> ]Why don't we make it like the 15th humans vs bots server?

The majority of players are on the Swadian side, while the nord team is command by 3-5 human players who each control a balanced number of nord bots. The Nord team would be auto-locked to a certain number of commanders, maybe 5 at most.
But thats not the idea...the main idea of this topic of having a commander battle style with Swadians with their bots, vs the Nord bots.

I also dislike the idea of having player + bot vs player + bot. That combination ruins mostly everything...
(13-07-2014, 01:40 AM)Suns link Wrote: [ -> ]Pretty good idea. Just need to make a set of buyable and upgradable NPCs for the Swadians. Faction Points should be the currency for this gamemode. Another issue would be balancing the number of bots per side, but at the same time, making the server manageable to play. Sometimes when I play Commander Battle on NW with 400+ bots on the battlefield, I can't switch between weapons in my inventory. This could just be my computer, but not so sure. A set amount of bots per player would also have to be determined.

As an example for the buyable NPCs

Recruits-500FP?
Class:Infantry
Body Armor:20 (Swadian Recruit Armor)
Head Armor:7 (Arming Cap)
Leg Armor:14 (Ankle Boots)
Power Strike:1
Ironflesh:0
Athletics:2
Shield:1
Strength:6
Agility:6
Health:50
One-Handed Wpf:75
Equipment:Short Sword, Old Heater Shield, and Worn Darts.

Based mostly off redshirts.  Tongue

Edit:After thinking about it, it would seem reasonable to make this mode go in waves. There can be 20 waves just like in the other ones. Every time the players win, the map would change but advance to the next stage. The first wave could be peasants, then so on. 1-8 could be Normal based bots, 9-15 Hard, and 16-20 Ragnarok. Or, the spawns could be just like reinforcements in the singleplayer campaign of Native. Just a thought on that part. ^^
I like this idea ^ it would also be interesting if your own bots that you have purchased levelled up themselves or you could purchase upgrades for them, so instead of leading generic bots you would have bots that you have spent time into improving, fighting alongside in battle with and having fun with. Same as Captain Co-Op, you only have a handful of men and you try your darndest to improve their armour and weapons so they can survive longer (which ultimately means more kills).
You gain an attachment of sorts.
Pages: 1 2