Emails are disabled - for account issues, post in #help on the NI Discord.

[Guide] How not to camp as a commando
Hello everyone,

some of you might still know me, but I had a little break and now I am back since a few days ago to slay a lot of Nords. So I played some of the new maps and looked at everything that have changed and what have not and I decide to make a guide on how I like to play as a Commando/Legionnaire or any other char that can use a shield.

I will focus on how to play a commando without camping and more like fighting in the open/close to walls or pretty much any other situation that might come up during the game.
I never really camped and it's not the way I like to play this game. This way of fighting is very hard to master and it's nothing for beginners, but as soon as you get good enough you can easily kill wave 1 to 1* on a server with 1-1* players on your own! (* insert number between 0 and 6, normal Mode). This guide will focus on normal mode because I didnt had the time yet to play hardmode, but I might add some parts about that later.

So lets start with some basic stuff:

Striking:

I am using a Steel Cutter because of its combination of length, damage and because it doesnt have a stab. Why is that important? The length off your weapon is very important. If your enemies geht too close or outrange you a lot you really get a problem. You basicly want to instakill everything that comes in the range off your weapon. To make sure of that you don't really need high powerstrike, but good aim and footwork. It's very important that you get the bonusdamage from movementspeed and headhitting. This increases your damage by a lot and you can instakill everything from wave 1 to 9 (normal mode) or wave 1 (hardmode) with no problem. You don't want a stab because it can easily glance and its hard to aim for the head with the new animation.
After every strike (and kill) you want to instantly block, just in case the bot luckchambers you or there is more than one Nord in Range for an attack. After that you watch out for attacks and if none is coming in you attack again. If you practise this a lot your blocks can last only ~0.05 secs and you still block every single attack. However it is very important to attack as often as you can because otherwise there will be way to many Nords in attackrange. Which would lead to the next point:

Positioning:

Positioning is maybe the most important part about this playstyle. You nearly allways don't want to get surrounded (unless you are really good and you want to increase you killspeed on low waves). So if you have to kite the enemies watch your surrounding very carefully and don't kite them in a small circle (unless you want to outrun them and then kill their ranged units very fast, which is not recommended because it could get you killed). You also need to watch how the bots move. Sometimes they stop advancing and move back a few steps which might be the perfect moment to kill one off those nords. Also I recommend to walk backwards and kill everyone that comes in range off your sword (don't forget about the movementspeedbonus Wink ). But you have to be carefull to not walk into a wall! So it might be a good idea, after you blocked an attack and you are going over into striking, to make a 360° spin to take a quick look at your surroundings (also usefull to spot enemies coming from the sides or behind). Or if you have 1-2 secs with no enemies very close to you you can look around with ^. If you however end up in a wall here are some possible solutions for that:

Out of Position?

If you have your back at the wall and enemies all around you don't panic. Is anyone of your team still alive and you shield isn't taking damage from axes? Good! Just watch the enemies very closely and block every incoming attack by rotating a bit to the left or right depending from where the attack is coming. Also you have a friend right behind you: The wall. It blocks 1/3-1/4 off attacks going against you (if the enemies swings sideways against the wall; does not work for very short weapons!). If you see that one of the 2-3 enemies that could hit you attacking the wall you should use that and try to kill/damage one off your enemies. However you can't use the movementspeedbonus on this one, so it might need 2-3 hits to kill an enemy.

If you arent totally surrounded by enemies try to use the wall as well. It still might block some attacks for you and you maybe can walk a bit along the wall trying to get out of the range off some off your enemies. Then it can work to kill 2-3 enemies real quick and get into the open again to outrun the Nords a bit, to get into a better position again.

My Team is dead what do I do?

You basicly do the same as before. You can still kill every single bot unless its a very hard wave (like pikemen or a lot of ranged enemies). Try to heal as often as you can and try to avoid taking damage even more than before and only go for easy kills or if you have to to not get surrounded. Wave 1-9 should be no problem to do alone on a server with 15 dead teammates. After that it might be nice to not let your teammates wait.

Other usefull stuff:

I am playing a Legionnaire atm, so I can use some throwing weapons which might be usefull to decrease the number of enemies before they reach you. If you have the time refill your throwing weapons.
Try to save your teammates! They are not useless. They decrease the chance of you getting killed, because some of the bots might chase them and not you the next wave. Also they help you kill the enemies. And ranged allies can decrease the number of bots that chase you. However if it comes to meele you don't really want to have teammates around because you could th them by accident and loose some of your hp and that could trigger the getting hit animations which might lead to more damage.

I have played only normal mode so far, but it went pretty well. I don't really have good gear, but I am using a lvl 52 char which helps way more that good gear I guess. (high wpf= higher attack speed ; higher shield skill = more survivabillity; more ps = more dmg).
You should be at least commando (lvl 39) to try this kind of playstlye, but I will test this with a low level char soon, so I might be wrong. However you don't really need a lot off armor (but the shield should be good), so you could go for lighter gear, which increases your mobility and killspeed a lot.

To be continued...
Nicely done.
Nice. I have one objection though: you mention Steel Cutter has a stab. I'm pretty sure it doesn't, unless they changed this very lately.
CC_Sir_Yabu - lvl 52 Wielder of the Rectal Glory
CC_Dr_Yabu - lvl 52 Pokémon
CC_Yabu_the_Hutt - lvl 52 Space Mob Member
CC_Yabudabadoo - lvl 39 Pacifist
CC_Dyabu_Unchained - lvl 10 No Comment
Visit my shop IKEY!
(13-06-2013, 01:45 PM)Yabu link Wrote:Nice. I have one objection though: you mention Steel Cutter has a stab. I'm pretty sure it doesn't, unless they changed this very lately.

Must be a typo since I choose it because it doesnt have one.

Fixed. Thanks for spotting it!
Very nice and sorely needed well done
ON_Fitz - Warden
ON_Fitz_II - Commando, 52
ON_Fitz_III - Pikeman, 47

This is the Internet man up or don't play - hypernoma

[Image: ce8a43a77726fcdb69c98079c7eef2c3.png]
Good guide. Well written. I'll have to incorporate some of the things you said into my normal romps. Too bad I don't have a steel cutter :[
ba da bing ba da BAN! -Hypernoma
Nice guide!
Mighty_Vdude - Level 52 - Halberdier
Mighty_Vdu - Level 44 - Commando/Crossbowman
Mighty_Vdud - Level 39 - Sniper