Emails are disabled - for account issues, post in #help on the NI Discord.

Computer Science future student needs advice
(16-02-2015, 10:46 AM)Bobo link Wrote: For computer engineers everything pays well. If you want easy life go systems administration. If you want money go systems security. If you want best development opportunities and lots of fun, go programing for mobile devices (damn fast growing branch now and for at least a generation more).
If anything I could say on the matter.

But the best advice I think was Maroon's. Just see what you like best and what you find you're good at. It's nice to have a job that pays a lot, but it's even better to have one that gives you lots of fun.

Awesome advice, thanks a lot. Money is great but i recon having fun would be better in more ways that one.
I know this is extremely late lol but I grew up thinking I wanted to do computer programming because I love games and helping out with the code for hosting bots on the old DotA, messing around with the lua language in ffxi online and the all in one hacks for old school starcraft and enjoyed programming small games on the old TI calculators in highschool. When I got older and got my first computer repair job it didn't take me too long to realize that a programmer is going to be stuck in a cubicle 40 hours a week on an older pc crunching code the entire time. It's the networking guys who get to play with the latest and greatest toys on the market and once you get into administration you get to sit around and just wait for it to break while the younger guys do the actual installations/labor. As bobo put it, the easy life. He's pretty much right about system security having the highest potential for money but you really gotta be on the cutting edge of technology doing things that have never been done before, intentionally breaking into the airports security system for example to help them fix flaws in it. If programming is really what you enjoy this is probably the best field to be in. With the engineers you end up working ALOT of hours and having to do fuckloads of math, but you get to be involved in creating the new toys. If physics and electrical engineering are your interest this would be the path to go.  Then there's always actual computer repair, you could always open up your own shop but be prepared for lots of paperwork and annoying customers unless of course you can afford to hire other people to deal with that for you then you can just sit there and watch paint dry as you fix the machines. Fixing computers has it moments, but it's mainly watching scans finish and can be pretty boring. The important thing is that you do what you enjoy because it's something that you're going to be doing for the rest of your life.
dont waste your money going to uni and getting further behind in debt, do a trade/tafe
[Image: NVWGT89.gif]
Haha well considering i am at Loughborough University already its a bit late to not go to uni. Thanks for the advice guys. SO many branches that i can go into surrounding computer science, i have ages to decide what i want to do. I really appreciate the advice.