Emails are disabled - for account issues, post in #help on the NI Discord.

Ambient Occlusion
Hello guys, i havent made any new models lately but as i saw recently most people are doing models for warband in NI community. So i just wanted to add a topic here to get modellers interested with ambient occlusion baking.

To put it simply; by baking ao map(ambient occlusion map) out and combining it with your model's diffuse(color) map in GIMP(or PS); you can have better looking textures; to have more volume-depth on them. It's a way to add fake shadows based on your model's geometry, basicly close surfaces gets darker and darker which leads a difference on the diffuse map to make your model look like having more "volume". To show what i'm talking about i took some real time screenshots of 2 of my lowpoly models in Blender;

[Image: QV97f.png]
On this sword's textures, i might've played with diffuse's contrast a bit, but ao map is giving the effect which i'm talking about here, check where blade meets the hilt(bladeguard, yellow part) and around the diamonds.

[Image: 4ibqM.png]
As you can see here, no diffuse maps; only normal map with ao map on left side, and normal map without any ao map on right side. For example notice the table's legs where it seems like it has more depth instead of being plain white.

Baking ambient occlusion mostly depends on the 3d program you're using, but the way doing it should be similar. When baking you have to be careful if you have repeating textures, or overlapping uv's since those fake shadows will be permenant and will effect parts whereever your uvs are. So probably its a better call to not using overlapping uvs if you are going to bake ao on your model's diffuse map. There might be a way of avoiding this by using 2 different sets of UV layouts for your models, but its a bit more advance method and you might have a hard time importing, showing those different uv sets in the game engine you are using(warband in our case). I havent tried it yet, or look for if its possible in warband to use 2 different uv sets; but i always think carefully when uv unwrapping by thinking how ambient occlusion bake's going to effect my model, and unwrap accordingly.

Anyways, this is just a taste how ao baking can be helpful, but looking for tutorials and studying them, for the program you are using should be done only by you. Well, good luck all the modellers out there, and dont forget to have fun Smile.
-------------
Edit1: Let me show a simple example;

This is how ao map looks like:
[Image: pFY7z.jpg]

This is diffuse :
[Image: d7nuv.jpg]

This is diffuse+ao by multiplying in GIMP:
[Image: IYZUs.jpg]

-------------
Edit2:

Dont forget, even if you cant do it in the 3d prog. you use; you can always import your mesh out (obj works fine for pretty much anything), bake ambient occlusion map in another program (like Blender Smile ) and save it out as a texture.

Here is a very detailed tutorial for Blender;
http://www.katsbits.com/tutorials/blende...lusion.php

Notice that the small square window at upright corner is "Uv/Image Editor" in the last 2 picture, you can also open it by selecting it from the button at left side of "View Select Object" at below of the 3dviewport. Then you can save it out from there as a texture file.

An important note; If you are going to use Blender to bake AO map, i suggest you that before starting to whole progress, go to "World" tab in right menu in Blender; tick "Ambient Occlusion". Under the "Gather" pick "Raytrace" and increase the "Sample" to at least 16 for less noice on your ao map (you can make it 32 sample but it can take hell of a time to bake ao, or 12 to take less time; 16 sample works fine for me).

Now there is an advance tutorial page too there, here its if you want to learn more about ao in Blender (i might have to read it myself too Tongue);
http://www.katsbits.com/tutorials/blende...on_adv.php

If those seems too complicated, i can try to prepare a simpler tutorial here about importing a mesh in Blender, baking ao map and saving it out as a texture file. But please try the above tutorials first Smile.

-------------
PS. sorry for grammer mistakes if there is any, my Engrish skill is not that good Tongue.
Attack of the smileys! Beware!
Very nice, they use this in napoleonic wars as well I believe.
AO was one of the first things I tried when modelling.

It was also the first thing I failed ;P.

Ended up with half the blade blackened and half whiteish.
Nothing is impossible, it's just a matter of determination and probability.

2nd Knight forever!

No longer active.
(04-09-2012, 01:02 PM)Displeased_Peasant link Wrote: Very nice, they use this in napoleonic wars as well I believe.

Aha good to know, ty Smile.

(04-09-2012, 02:27 PM)Senni link Wrote: AO was one of the first things I tried when modelling.

It was also the first thing I failed ;P.

Ended up with half the blade blackened and half whiteish.

Hard topic to start right after starting to model, but dont give up mate Smile. That sounds like you didnt unwrap your model's uvs or had another mesh that effected the ao map of your model when baking.

----

Lets add this as a side note: Its important to have only the model you want to bake in scene when baking so it'll only get effected by its own geomety.

-Added a simple example of ao map, diffuse map; and two of them combined at first post.
My UV seemed fine, I think it was just the way I got the AO.

I used a mental ray but it always came out weirdly.
Nothing is impossible, it's just a matter of determination and probability.

2nd Knight forever!

No longer active.
yea me too Senni, 3ds max just doesnt like baking AO maps it seemsĀ  :-\, gotta get one of my lecturers to try it when i get back to college and see if they can do it Tongue
Emh, Ryu, it's very interesting. How can I make this AO map?(I use Photoshop+Wings 3d)
As free as an eagle in the sky...
My chars
Headhunters_FireTroll-46 lvl commando+xbow
[DP]FireGoblin-45 lvl sniper+inf
Headhunters_FireOrc-21 lvl heavy crossbowman
DP_FireOgre-43 lvl pikeman
[Image: 21076638.png]
(04-09-2012, 06:15 PM)Senni link Wrote: My UV seemed fine, I think it was just the way I got the AO.

I used a mental ray but it always came out weirdly.

(04-09-2012, 06:24 PM)alee56 link Wrote: yea me too Senni, 3ds max just doesnt like baking AO maps it seemsĀ  :-\, gotta get one of my lecturers to try it when i get back to college and see if they can do it Tongue

Here i found a topic at cgsociety, people're doing some suggestions; one of them might work for you guys to Wink.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=530318

-------

(04-09-2012, 07:56 PM)Art2X link Wrote: Emh, Ryu, it's very interesting. How can I make this AO map?(I use Photoshop+Wings 3d)

Hey Art2X. Its all about the program you are using to make an ao map. I did some searching to find a video tutorial for wings3d for another modeller here( hey matey Smile ), i could only found some forum talks, maybe it can help you. Here its;
http://nendowingsmirai.yuku.com/topic/73...m-wings-3d

-------------

Dont forget, even if you cant do it in the 3d prog. you use; you can always import your mesh out (obj works fine for pretty much anything), bake ambient occlusion map in another program (like Blender Smile ) and save it out as a texture.

Here is a very detailed tutorial for Blender;
http://www.katsbits.com/tutorials/blende...lusion.php

Notice that the small square window at upright corner is "Uv/Image Editor" in the last 2 picture, you can also open it by selecting it from the button at left side of "View Select Object" at below of the 3dviewport. Then you can save it out from there as a texture file.

An important note; If you are going to use Blender to bake AO map, i suggest you that before starting to whole progress, go to "World" tab in right menu in Blender; tick "Ambient Occlusion". Under the "Gather" pick "Raytrace" and increase the "Sample" to at least 16 for less noice on your ao map (you can make it 32 sample but it can take hell of a time to bake ao, or 12 to take less time; 16 sample works fine for me).

Now there is an advance tutorial page too there, here its if you want to learn more about ao in Blender (i might have to read it myself too Tongue);
http://www.katsbits.com/tutorials/blende...on_adv.php

If those seems too complicated, i can try to prepare a simpler tutorial here about importing a mesh in Blender, baking ao map and saving it out as a texture file. But please try the above tutorials first Smile.
Thx ryu will check ur links when my big texturing pack work will be finished.
As free as an eagle in the sky...
My chars
Headhunters_FireTroll-46 lvl commando+xbow
[DP]FireGoblin-45 lvl sniper+inf
Headhunters_FireOrc-21 lvl heavy crossbowman
DP_FireOgre-43 lvl pikeman
[Image: 21076638.png]