Emails are disabled - for account issues, post in #help on the NI Discord.

Shields testing project
Hi guys,
an idea came to my mind to make a testing of shields to provide a comparison of their endurance. The testing routine would be as follows: an RG char (highest shield skill) holds the shield while a Legionnaire (highest 1H proficiency + top power strike) hits the shield repeatably with a standarized weapon (like e.g. One Handed Battle Axe) until it breaks. The test result is the number of strikes required to break the shield.

Having different shields tested we get an estimation of what you can expect from particular shield and how it compares with others. This information seems to be valuable when you think of buying a better shield and wonder if it's worth to pay the price.

I believe you could throw in some ideas of how the testing should be made (e.g. it might be pretty good to make the tests also with a char with 8 shield skill, so Commandos/Legios/Zweis also know what they can expect from the shield and to visualize the practical influence of RGs' higher skill). I'd wish to ask for help as well as I don't have access to all shields available ofc.

Awaiting your comments.  Big Grin
this would be almost impossible to do, if I recall correctly, shield mechanics in warband let alone NI are some of the most difficult to comprehend. For example, the bonus against shield modifier changes the equation in which shield resistance works quite drastically meaning shields with higher hitpoints would outlast shields with higher resistance. pierce damage also affects shields in an unusual way. if you really want to bang on an RG's shields for hours on end then hats off to you. But the results would likely not show a honest and decisive victor. As a logical rule of thumb, one would think shield stats have been balanced in a way that the smaller the shield, the tougher it is, the larger the shield the weaker.

also, someone did go to the time and effort to create a somewhat comprehensive shield stat chart a while ago. i can not be bothered digging for it however, and it is no doubt outdated as per the latest shield stat changes.
Going Deep
So far I made some testing (Royal and Small Dragon), it seems the results go reasonably with the stats but it was an easy comparison as both shields have the same resistance... It takes 50-60 hits of MP with SunPike to break them. It takes much less if the weapon has bonus against shields, so no hours of banging on Smile
You know, if you can find the damage algorithms for shields, I could just make a small program that calculates roughly how many strikes are needed.
#20108       SK_Iron_Marauder ;  Previously SK_Iron, SK_Ironhill, SB_Ironhill, Swadius_of_Ironhills
#2462148    SK_Mica ; Previously Fat_and_Ugly
#2441007    SK_Royal_Guard_Gneiss ; Previously SK_Herr_Gneiss_Preasts
#2451456    SK_Hardy_Meat_Piston
#2432942    Raicho
#2514714    Ric_Flair

(07-10-2015, 06:12 PM)Swadius link Wrote: You know, if you can find the damage algorithms for shields, I could just make a small program that calculates roughly how many strikes are needed.
I think wacking it with an axe sounds easier lol
StuStu-All I'll say buddy is Arbilest or however it's spelt, crafting price means nothing in NI, if you are a long time player you should know that yourself, I'm done arguing with someone who's naive as ****
[Image: lNYrB9c.png]
(07-10-2015, 10:57 AM)Madjosh link Wrote: this would be almost impossible to do, if I recall correctly, shield mechanics in warband let alone NI are some of the most difficult to comprehend. For example, the bonus against shield modifier changes the equation in which shield resistance works quite drastically meaning shields with higher hitpoints would outlast shields with higher resistance. pierce damage also affects shields in an unusual way. if you really want to bang on an RG's shields for hours on end then hats off to you. But the results would likely not show a honest and decisive victor. As a logical rule of thumb, one would think shield stats have been balanced in a way that the smaller the shield, the tougher it is, the larger the shield the weaker.

also, someone did go to the time and effort to create a somewhat comprehensive shield stat chart a while ago. i can not be bothered digging for it however, and it is no doubt outdated as per the latest shield stat changes.

pretty much this. The thing that really messes it up is the speed bonus - it's too inconsistent to really have an accurate reading on how many hits it would take.

the same goes for an equation. even though you can control your speed bonus through footwork techniques and mouse movement, it's always going to be a ballpark, making an equation impossible unless you input a 'dice roll'-esque feature into the equation.

either that or you could just stand in one place and not move your mouse or WASD and just upswing until the shield breaks
if you have problem of the model variety send it to winter xen winter me winter me xen because it'll piss him off
(07-10-2015, 07:10 PM)FV_HappyMonk3y99 link Wrote: [quote author=Swadius link=topic=48247.msg244634#msg244634 date=1444241544]
You know, if you can find the damage algorithms for shields, I could just make a small program that calculates roughly how many strikes are needed.
I think wacking it with an axe sounds easier lol
[/quote]
Just that, should we know the algorithm it could simply be calculated and everyone would know best. The trouble is I have no idea how to get the algorith... If anyone knows plz get in touch.
(07-10-2015, 07:38 PM)Terath link Wrote:
pretty much this. The thing that really messes it up is the speed bonus - it's too inconsistent to really have an accurate reading on how many hits it would take.

the same goes for an equation. even though you can control your speed bonus through footwork techniques and mouse movement, it's always going to be a ballpark, making an equation impossible unless you input a 'dice roll'-esque feature into the equation.

either that or you could just stand in one place and not move your mouse or WASD and just upswing until the shield breaks
[/quote]
Correct, the speed bonus is the trouble. My idea is to use overhead strike to avoid body movement (swing) just like you suggested. Also we should take into consideration that if we make mupltiple tests, we shall see if the results vary much. If not, the results can be considered credible. Any further suggestions will be most welcome.

I am especially curious if the idea of shields comparison on test basis (put aside testing procedures for a moment) seems to be interesting to other players.