Emails are disabled - for account issues, post in #help on the NI Discord.

Poll: Should Cav Servers be taken down for now?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes.
3.92%
2 3.92%
No. I think Cav is enjoyable as of now.
15.69%
8 15.69%
No. But Cav indeed needs an overhaul.
54.90%
28 54.90%
what is cav lul
3.92%
2 3.92%
idc gib loot or riot
21.57%
11 21.57%
Total 51 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

The odd one out.
We all know it. There’s always one kid that doesn’t fit in. It’s the odd one out, so to say. Considered dull and uninteresting by other human beings in respective proximity, it is neglected by the vast majority of people.

In NI that kid is the Cavalry mode. It’s the least frequently played mode (I assume that even beginner mode is more frequently visited than this). Simply put, playing the mode is not worth it. In the longest amount of time you gain the least amount of experience. This combined with the fact that while the other modes have seen tremendous changes to the loot system and the drop frequencies of materials appearing in given modes, the cavalry mode still grovels in this concern. Mats are scarce, even basic mats like bent swords hardly drop. Given those two properties (the duration and the incredibly unrewarding nature of the mode) the cavalry mode gives absolutely no incentive to be played. Frankly, it’s a waste time. That’s not the only problem though. It’s, simply put, also the most annoying mode. Playing cavalry as xbow or pikeman doesn’t make a whole lot of sense; you end up being restricted to play either as archer or as infantry. Let’s take a look at the archer: It’s always the same job, you shoot, and in later waves, you shoot while riding in circles, or if applicable in straight lines. It’s repetitive, and gets boring quickly. Furthermore, sometimes you get an instant death via a random headshot by some random spear thrower guy. In higher waves your job solely consists of kiting the bots, shooting, shooting and once again, shooting. Is this fun? Personally, I can’t see how anyone could find this fun. I certainly do not, and given from other people’s thoughts on this mode, I highly doubt there is anyone who is fond of this.

Let’s move on to the infantry based gameplay. Well, infantry. What exactly is its job in this mode? In every other mode the inf’s job is pretty straight forward and self-explanatory. Not so in the cav mode. For some reason most players assume that the infantry relies on heavy armoured horses, which essentially leaves the player both too slow and incapable of outmanoeuvring enemies. Those players then seek out the queue of bots which mindlessly follow a single archer to hit a strike here and there. Are those infantries helpful, or effective? No. More often than not, circles end up being interrupted, or some riders collide, ending in pointless deaths. Either that or the inf player gets focused by bots, thus they suddenly turn around and swoopy woopy kill that charging inf player (this especially is an issue on wave 12, because the bots are absurdly fast moving. This also makes them quite hard to hit, and you also suffer speed bonus reduction/penalty, often causing a couch to just bounce off).

What’s the other playstyle then, an inf using a non-armoured horse? That is the playstyle I personally use (I generally only play light cavalry). You basically do the same job like an archer, but you do it with a melee weapon. In the early waves (let’s say up until wave 12) you can easily play without a strict pattern, in a randomised pattern, so to speak. After wave 12 that changes, you should now ride in circles. Here comes another problem of the cavalry mode. For the inf there simply is as of yet no decent choice of a 1h weapon to use, given that all decent 1h weapons have a short reach (with the exception of legionnaire weapons). The only decent weapons that are not too short are the swadian hope and the aurora blade. With the melee you hit the bots while doing endless circling, if you don’t know the hitboxes too well, you probably will end up dying a lot. Warning: Can go wrong on wave 12.

It’s quite clear that the cavalry mode as of yet hasn’t been thought through. Yeah, sure the recent changes made the cav mode a tad faster, but let’s be honest, 4 types of horses and lances as well as armours won’t make the cut. I deduce that given the recent changes concerning the looting system and the items' stat adaptations the focus is rather unlikely to now suddenly swap on a mode that’s been more or less neglected for the better part of several years. I might of course be entirely wrong here, but if not then let me make my proposition: If the cavalry mode is not due to undertake tremendous changes, take down the cav servers. As of now very few people play it, and even fewer like it. And without an overhaul this won’t change. In my eyes, cavalry is not only a waste of time but also a waste of money spent on servers that are being played on once per day at the most. Cav could ofc be revived whenever changes are made.

I’ll institute a poll on this matter; after all I can’t nor want to dictate how the dev team should handle this situation. Input is always welcome.

Sincerely
Loris

Legendary Loots:

Hurricane Bow - December 2014                    Dark Gothic Sallet - March 2020  
Naval Glaive - February 2015
Illustrious - October 2017
Imperial Halfplate - Red - September 2018
Aurora Blade - October 2018
Godwood Lance - February 2019
Fang of Fenrir - November 2019
Ancient Greatsword - December 2019
Dragon Axe - February 2020
I enjoy cav as it is, but changes would be nice.
''If Turtle can loot, anybody can.''

Sexual Healer of NI

"He took the pike out of my hands before my body even touched the ground." - Nana
"you can sexually heal me any day" - Xen and Bradapple

25/03/2018 - Shield of Kings
11/10/2018 - Imperial Halfplate - Red
(09-03-2018, 09:46 PM)[UK]_DruggedUpTurtle Wrote: I enjoy cav as it is, but changes would be nice.

Yea, changes Pls, Note only Updates for the normals, Hard or rag Server.
[Image: zPA9RPA.png] [Image: cHTj01v.png]
‌‌ Shop ‌‌ Steam
OK I have not read the whole first post yet but let me just say cav is being worked on
I was told several weeks back that a Beastiary for it would be pointless
I am guess it's because of how much will change when it does

OK just read it all the way
First up Xbow with Eagle works fine and Ailadrodd just plan great
Pike has the best Pole-arm in game and so is the best class with a lance

I think the drops for cav are a bit harder to change which might be why it has not yet

Now Infantry can use the AB and Swadian Hope as you said but the Torch can be used as well
I have also used a DWP with great results on RG on cav

As said before I think some big changes will be coming to cav at some point
But you seem to paint the picture of it right now a little to black
Bring Back Mr. Deer and I play cav again.
[Image: dpcfmq0qegd53mozg.jpg]
Loki Kills: 357
Thor Kills: 330
Odin Kills: 259
Prince Kills: 401
King Ragnar Kills: 258

House Crafting: Support 39, Defender 33, Attacker 30
  Alchemist: Lvl 36
Blacksmith: Lvl 21
Armorsmith: Lvl 32
Didn't read, lol
[Image: Td5KxhO.gif]
By me :3
I disagree with you about the fighting style and the loot chance as an infantry who enjoys cavalry mode as it is. Also I dropped one of my legendaries on cavalry wave 4(when boss was on this wave) lol. It's actually about cav experience. I used to play cavalry on native so I'm good at it, with some time anyone can be. As you mentioned, one of the problems of that mod is its being too slow.

But if you ask me, the real problem for me is the new horse scales. Seriously devs, it's like riding a donkey. I hope they change horses' sizes back to normal.
Less talking, more raiding!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYBHptwwOdU
I voted "idc gib loot or riot." The game is about rewards and Cavalry isn't rewarding enough.
Quote Board is on Discord (last updated 2023.09.07)
"When I feel bad, I read your quote board." - Corndog

Tofu: People call Tricksters racist, yet we have the most Muslim members of any house.
PCK: If Islam is a religion of peace, and Tricksters have the most Muslims, then is House of Tricksters the house of peace?
Falankos: I always knew that we were the good guys.
(10-03-2018, 05:37 PM)Malong Wrote: I voted "idc gib loot or riot." The game is about rewards and Cavalry isn't rewarding enough.

I thought it was about having fun...
Maybe my info is outdated
(10-03-2018, 06:37 PM)Sir Baron Wrote:
(10-03-2018, 05:37 PM)Malong Wrote: I voted "idc gib loot or riot." The game is about rewards and Cavalry isn't rewarding enough.

I thought it was about having fun...
Maybe my info is outdated

Before 1.8.0, the population was much lower. I think the community has demonstrated that the fun is in the loot.
Quote Board is on Discord (last updated 2023.09.07)
"When I feel bad, I read your quote board." - Corndog

Tofu: People call Tricksters racist, yet we have the most Muslim members of any house.
PCK: If Islam is a religion of peace, and Tricksters have the most Muslims, then is House of Tricksters the house of peace?
Falankos: I always knew that we were the good guys.