Emails are disabled - for account issues, post in #help on the NI Discord.

Swadian Studded Steel Shield vs Aegis Shield
I am looking for some advice on shields.  I am going for an RG so the Aegis Shield is an option

From looking at the stats for the Swadian Studded Steel Shield and the Aegis Shield, the Swadian Studded Steel Shield seems like it is a better shield in terms of how much damage it can take.  The Swadian Studded Steel Shield has a resistance of 50 while the Aegis Shield only has a resistance of 47.  This means that any hit at or above 50 the Aegis Shield will take 3 more damage per hit vs the Swadian Studded Steel Shield. Or is this not how resistance works in NI?

With the Aegis only having 150 more health then the Swadian Studded Steel Shield it only takes 50 hits before the health on both are equal and then from that point any hit will break down the Aegis faster then the Swadian Studded Steel Shield.  If my logic is wrong here please let me know the truth.   
The next question is do most shields last for 50 hits on Rag?

I know that the Aegis Shield is more popular and considered a better shield by most players so I am assuming their is a reason.  I need help understanding why that is so that I can make a good choice with deciding which shield to get.  If I am missing a 3rd shield that is better then either of these for around 2m-3m please let me know about that one as well.  Your guidance will be most appreciated, and thank you for your time spent to provide me with this information.     
Yes, I'm Floofy.

I hope all is well, and if not try to have a positive attitude because it helps.  Thank you and have a great day!
From my experience people prefer to use the Aegis over the SSSS or the Small dragon kite shield due to the fact it's a lot bigger which is ideal for Royal guards. I'm not going to pretend to know the difference between resistance rating and hit points but the Aegis is defo the better shield. It's royal guard locked for a reason Smile if you have a zwie or a legionnaire then the smaller Shields come into play as they work perfectly fine as backup Shields in a pinch

Hope this helped!
Don't suicide yourself. Bradapple 07/01/2015

And last thing im gonna say is dont make my point to another way. - Gandhi
I personally use the Aegis on my RG (and will also use it on my Pavise once that one is done). On my Legio I am using the SDKS, as my previous used SHS just simply blocked a huge part of my screen when throwing.

Comparing the SDKS and Aegis:
HP: 1400 vs 1350
Res: 44 vs 47
Size: Small vs Medium

Tbh the main diffrence when playing Legio or RG is the two shielding-points diffrence on rag. If the shield holds one or 2 hits more from Entranced Berserkers doesn't really matter in my opinion (just due to shield stats). If you got decent slashers and a lot of Ranged during events, you will not have your shield breaking, the only issue are the waves which includes bots who use axes with a lot of power-strike.
[Image: w6ZxTrO.png] Total: Loots: 56 & Upgrades: 30
  • 2018: _1 | __
  • 2019: 15 | 10
  • 2020: 17 | 13
  • 2021: 15 | _4
  • 2022: _8 | _3

‌‌ ‌‌Julia's little Armory | Steam
In general SSSS may last longer than aegis, but i personally get paranoid using SSSS just because i can easily get shot with it. For this reason i'd go for aegis, but keep in mind aegis is quite short. If you wanna go in the open field resilience might be the best, but in general i feel safe with aegis. Try them out and go with whichever shield gives you less problems.
[Image: b8ecae23634dacfd46af0f9d4412ff1d.png]
The Aegis can take more hits than both the Swadian Studded Steel Shield and Small Dragon Kite Shield in every situation and is overall a better shield.
I appreciate everyone's input and information. It sounds like the Aegis is a better shield because it is bigger and will keep you alive longer since your character won't take as much damage. Even if the Swadian Studded Steel Shield may or may not provide the ability to take more hits then the Aegis. If you die easier this is not going to matter since someone dead cannot shield.

HOWEVER: From what Winter says my math is incorrect so don't trust my math. I am sure the Dev's know way more about how the game works then I do. Even if you did trust my math for some reason you at least know the intension is for the Aegis shield to be able to take more hits and last longer then the SSSS. So in the future either would happen to make this happen; the Aegis will receive a buff, or the SSSS will receive a nerf. So the Aegis will be a better and safer option all around.

(12-03-2018, 12:45 PM)Winter Wrote: The Aegis can take more hits than both the Swadian Studded Steel Shield and Small Dragon Kite Shield in every situation and is overall a better shield.

I appreciate this added information as I was thinking the Swadian Studded Steel Shield would actually survive more hits then the Aegis, making the choice harder. I must be making a mistake in my calculations or not taking something into account. Since the Aegis is then the superior shield in every way over the SSSS I will go with the Aegis.

If anyone is curious about how I was calculating my shield comparisons

For questions about how shields work this is from the mount and blade manual:
Resistance: Decreases the damage taken by the shield by that number unless it is attacked with a weapon that has a shield damage bonus.
Skill: Decrease damage take by the shield by 8% per skill and increases the blocking effective size and speed of the shield.

For anyone who may be curious here on how I calculated the different shields' effectiveness:

Swadian Studded Steel Shield stats:
Weight
Speed rating
Hit points
Shield width
Shield height
Resistance

Aegis Stats:
Weight
Speed rating
Hit points
Shield width
Shield height
Resistance

From this I was thinking even though the SSSS has less life, it will take 3 less damage per hit, meaning it would last longer assuming the damage taken per hit allows the shield to last longer then 50 hits. In my scenario I have assumed a shield skill of 0 since that would only make both shields last longer and does not seem super helpful to help decide which one can take more damage. Let us say a bot hits each shield for 55 damage per hit.

The Aegis would start at 1350 health with 47 resistance, so each time the bot hit the shield it would take 8 damage. 1350/8 = 168.75. So the Aegis shield would last for 169 hits before it breaks.

The Swadian Studded Steel Shield starts at 1200 health with 50 resistance, so each hit from a bot will damage the shield by 5. 1200/5 = 240. So the Swadian Studded Steel Shield will last for 240 hits before it breaks.

From this it seems the Swadian Studded Steel Shield would actually last through 71 more hits then the Aegis at 55 damage per hit. However this is not the case as Winter has said above so I must be making a mistake or missing something in my logic.
Yes, I'm Floofy.

I hope all is well, and if not try to have a positive attitude because it helps.  Thank you and have a great day!