Emails are disabled - for account issues, post in #help on the NI Discord.

Uncommon book you love
(01-03-2012, 05:19 AM)Talgion_Cheeseliker link Wrote: anything by Edgar Allan Poe

*Cough*  ;D

Everything by H.P Lovecraft is also very good, if you're into that kind of thing.
French you say. English book you say. I'd (seriously) recommend the book "Azincourt" - it's main character is an English longbowman during the 100-years war, who witness the Battle of Azincourt. The book is written in a VERY interesting, fresh manner, and while it's historically accurate, it's still damn exiting.

Would love the irony of a French reading the English version of the Battle of Azincourt :p
(01-03-2012, 06:14 AM)Conqueror_Worm link Wrote: [quote author=Talgion_Cheeseliker link=topic=1676.msg14233#msg14233 date=1330579185]
anything by Edgar Allan Poe

*Cough*  ;D

[/quote]

Glad I'm not the only one.  Smile
SB_Talgion_Cheeseliker (Commando/Militia)
SB_Hyrpyndyrpyn_IV (Skirmisher)
(01-03-2012, 05:40 PM)Tarimoth link Wrote: French you say. English book you say. I'd (seriously) recommend the book "Azincourt" - it's main character is an English longbowman during the 100-years war, who witness the Battle of Azincourt. The book is written in a VERY interesting, fresh manner, and while it's historically accurate, it's still damn exiting.

Would love the irony of a French reading the English version of the Battle of Azincourt :p

humm I need to see this book...

My 600 old bloody french ancestor may want to kill me for that but my ancestor lived for about 400 years in Quebec so fuck those old French tradition! Me too I wanna laugh at French disaster! (keep hope french grand'pa I'll read about how Guillaume le Conquérant swept England from Harold to calm you!)

(ps author: Bernard Cornwell publication 2008 title for normal (or people with a bit of French knowledge) people : Azincourt for American : Agincourt (the ''z'' was too much for my South neighbor Tongue)

I like Poe... but the translation by Baudelaire is like... OMG... Awesome! Seriously I read some of them in English and wouldn't even recognize them if there was of the name...

you got some good books! I like that!
hum.. any chess player?
hook me up on chess.com : my nickname is LeIsatis!
(01-03-2012, 06:14 AM)Conqueror_Worm link Wrote: [quote author=Talgion_Cheeseliker link=topic=1676.msg14233#msg14233 date=1330579185]
anything by Edgar Allan Poe

*Cough*  ;D

Everything by H.P Lovecraft is also very good, if you're into that kind of thing.
[/quote]

I think I read most of his life's work in the first week I discovered it because I couldn't stop reading Tongue

'uncommon' book I liked...not sure what you mean with uncommon but I'll state the Jack Vance - Planet of Adventure and Frank Herbert - Dune series. Among the top Science Fiction writers out there (if still alive, that is).
I have the collected works of both Edgar Allan Poe and H.P Lovecraft and read them quite frequently, never gets old. And as some of you might have picked up I'm a big fan of Poe, judging from my name which is a poem by Poe.  Wink Click the link in my signature, won't be dissapointed.
The narration of that poem from your signature is really fitting  Big Grin
[align=center][Image: birdtalon.png]
Hm... judging by your avatar, I would have guessed that it was a Dune reference.
SB_Talgion_Cheeseliker (Commando/Militia)
SB_Hyrpyndyrpyn_IV (Skirmisher)
Nobody reads Dean R Koontz ? Big Grin

I do., doh I only read em all In Danish so far, have all in a danish version.. Smile
I'll second Master and Margarita. Anything by Bulgakov is great, especially Heart of a Dog. The World Set Free by H.G. Wells is unbelievably cool. If you want to challenge yourself, Umberto Eco always turns in a good show. So does Vikram Seth, especially An Equal Music. If dystopian Sci-Fi sounds good, re We by Yvgeny Zamyatin, as 1984 and Brave New World were based on it, but it sadly gets no love.

Other titles to recommend:
Cavalier and Clay
Any Sherlock Holmes stuff
The Golden Compass and the following two books

Serial Fantasy/Sci-Fi is touch and go, but Martin is good, S.M. Sterling is fun but cheesy, and avoid Jordan as after book 6-7 of Wheel of Time, they all read the same.

Non-Fiction rocks, too:
Varieties of Religious Experience is one of the coolest lecture series ever delivered
Any biography of Ben Franklin - totally interesting stuff

That's all I can think of at the moment. I love seeing everyone's picks, too.
"Many people die at twenty five and aren't buried until they are seventy five."
-Benjamin Franklin