NordInvasion Forum
breaking the new steam chat - Printable Version

+- NordInvasion Forum (https://forum.nordinvasion.com)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.nordinvasion.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://forum.nordinvasion.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: breaking the new steam chat (/showthread.php?tid=69023)

Pages: 1 2

breaking the new steam chat - casual - 04-08-2018

I found this just by googling but i cant find the link again.

basically just gotta go into your files, find the .exe that launches steam 
once you find that, send it as a shortcut to the desktop, then edit the "target" field (it should read "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" or similar), after what is in the target field add " -nofriendsui" (no quote marks).
sadly you'll have to launch steam from said shortcut in order to cancel out the new UI.

this is obviously just one way, and not necessarily the best way.
if there's a better way feel free to share.

RE: breaking the new steam chat - Noname - 04-08-2018

(04-08-2018, 08:48 PM)casual Wrote: I found this just by googling but i cant find the link again.

once you find that, send it as a shortcut to the desktop, then edit the "target" field (it should read "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" or similar), after what is in the target field add " -nofriendsui" (no quote marks).
sadly you'll have to launch steam from said shortcut in order to cancel out the new UI.

Firstly, you should remove the apostrophe in the first spoiler (can't open it), secondly, what's wrong with the new layout?

RE: breaking the new steam chat - Ken_Repeaterman - 04-08-2018

Agreed. The new design is really something wrong. The former was much more convenient and better

RE: breaking the new steam chat - Corrndog - 05-08-2018

(04-08-2018, 08:51 PM)Noname Wrote: Firstly, you should remove the apostrophe in the first spoiler (can't open it), secondly, what's wrong with the new layout?
We, old people don't like changes.

RE: breaking the new steam chat - DR. - 05-08-2018

(05-08-2018, 05:21 AM)Corrndog Wrote:
(04-08-2018, 08:51 PM)Noname Wrote: Firstly, you should remove the apostrophe in the first spoiler (can't open it), secondly, what's wrong with the new layout?
We, old people don't like changes.

even when more than half of the changes are better than the old version

RE: breaking the new steam chat - Sargent Q - 05-08-2018

(04-08-2018, 08:51 PM)Noname Wrote:
(04-08-2018, 08:48 PM)casual Wrote: I found this just by googling but i cant find the link again.

Firstly, you should remove the apostrophe in the first spoiler (can't open it), secondly, what's wrong with the new layout?

Lets see...

First off its much harder to actually see who's online. Especially due to that fact that i do use the sort options for my house.

It uses the sort option and than right below lists everyone even those already listed.

It lags out on notifying me. Yesterday i got notified about a chat message that had been sent the night before.

It can be very hard to actually track down who messaged you. On event nights, i tend to have 10-20 chats open and if i don't see the popup in game, i have to look through each one instead of using what was there before to just look at everyone who is messaging you and see which ones have new replies.

RE: breaking the new steam chat - Elmo - 05-08-2018

Agreed new friends list sucks, kinda funny how people made a workaround for it the same day it was updated lol

RE: breaking the new steam chat - Malong - 06-08-2018

(05-08-2018, 04:02 PM)Sargent Q Wrote:

Lets see...

First off its much harder to actually see who's online.  Especially due to that fact that i do use the sort options for my house.  

It uses the sort option  and than right below lists everyone even those already listed.

It lags out on notifying me.  Yesterday i got notified about a chat message that had been sent the night before.

It can be very hard to actually track down who messaged you.  On event nights, i tend to have 10-20 chats open and if i don't see the popup in game, i have to look through each one instead of using what was there before to just look at everyone who is messaging you and see which ones have new replies.

To add on a few reasons:

* Chat tabs are much larger, each width of the chat window shows fewer chats than before
* The left and right arrows on the chat window only scroll across. Before there was a clickable dropdown of every chat to the left or right, and you could jump to a chat (e.g. the incredibly common use case of immediately going to the chats that has new messages, instead of scrolling through the whole list until you see the one with new messages)
* Shift-Tab in game only shows messages from your current session, and does not show chats that were open from your desktop or previous game sessions
* Sorting of the friends list shows people playing games first, when I have already grouped friends by games. I would rather have them sorted by the game which we play together (which I specifically created groups for) than the games they are playing at that moment. If that's useful info, put my own sorting into its own tab.
* Right click invite to game or join game seems to have been removed
* Lack of classic mode option for forced usage of the new UI

Possible bugs:
* No sound notifications
* Scrolling vertically within a chat and pasting into chat don't work sometimes

RE: breaking the new steam chat - Thunderstorm - 07-08-2018

But you can SEND MEMES IN CHAT NOW

RE: breaking the new steam chat - DR. - 07-08-2018

(07-08-2018, 07:41 AM)Thunderstorm Wrote: But you can SEND MEMES IN CHAT NOW

accidental dick pic