NordInvasion Forum
Maroon's Modeling Corner [Cleaver of sorts 28/6] - Printable Version

+- NordInvasion Forum (https://forum.nordinvasion.com)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.nordinvasion.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Community Projects (https://forum.nordinvasion.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+---- Forum: Models and Textures (https://forum.nordinvasion.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+---- Thread: Maroon's Modeling Corner [Cleaver of sorts 28/6] (/showthread.php?tid=8721)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Re: Maroon's Modeling Corner - Senni - 21-04-2013

Looking good Wink

Also it might be worth a shot looking at alpha channels and transparency, for the gem bit.

I haven't any experience with it myself, but it should be possible.

It's a bit too fantasy to be added, we are only adding realistic models atm (and foresee-able future).

EDIT: Almost forgot, AO is worth a look too Smile

Re: Maroon's Modeling Corner - Krilline - 21-04-2013

Beautifull Sword.
Good Job !

Re: Maroon's Modeling Corner - Maroon - 21-04-2013

(21-04-2013, 02:55 PM)Senni link Wrote:Looking good Wink

Also it might be worth a shot looking at alpha channels and transparency, for the gem bit.

I haven't any experience with it myself, but it should be possible.

It's a bit too fantasy to be added, we are only adding realistic models atm (and foresee-able future).

EDIT: Almost forgot, AO is worth a look too Smile
Can imagine you don't want the mod to get too fantasy like, with stuff like VGS and Justice already in. Tongue
If there's any sort of weapon you need modeled (or armor, but I'm not experienced with that Tongue), aside from new bolts, let me know Big Grin
(21-04-2013, 03:03 PM)Krilline link Wrote:Beautifull Sword.
Good Job !
Thanks!

Re: Maroon's Modeling Corner - Gimli - 21-04-2013

odin, thor, etc... and you are seriously telling us that one fantasy-sword would make it "a bit too fantasy" ? Big GrinBig Grin

Re: Maroon's Modeling Corner - _Sophie_ - 21-04-2013

(21-04-2013, 02:55 PM)Senni link Wrote:It's a bit too fantasy to be added, we are only adding realistic models atm (and foresee-able future).
The aurora blade doesn't really look so realistic also  Tongue

(21-04-2013, 05:25 PM)_Sophie_ link Wrote:[quote author=Senni link=topic=11766.msg99986#msg99986 date=1366556159]
[/quote]

Keyword being adding.

What's ingame is ingame, current direction is more 'realistic'.

Basically, if you can pick it up, swing it and it would hold up in combat, it's realistic enough.
If you can't think of a use for a part of the blade or hilt, it's probably too 'fantasy' Tongue.

Regarding this model, only thing OTT is the colour (I am a fan of the inheritance cycle, so I understand Tongue).

If it was toned down, made with a bit of transparency for the 'iridescence', it would be much closer to being added Tongue.

For example:
-making the blade texture much less blue.
-Increasing blue specularity coeff

And for some detail, try adding some white (blur it a bit) around the edge of the blade. I also like to add some darker areas at the base of blades, which fades out as you go along and to the edges.

Using GIMP or Photoshop?

Re: Maroon's Modeling Corner - Hypernoma - 21-04-2013

Other than what senni has said, my big issue is with the texture of the cross guard. While a marbled effect does look cool, if that was metal it would have a strong suggestion of structural weakness running through the metal and I would not trust that to save my hand at all...

Re: Maroon's Modeling Corner - Maroon - 21-04-2013

(21-04-2013, 06:21 PM)Senni link Wrote:[quote author=_Sophie_ link=topic=11766.msg100038#msg100038 date=1366565120]
[quote author=Senni link=topic=11766.msg99986#msg99986 date=1366556159]
[/quote]

Keyword being adding.

What's ingame is ingame, current direction is more 'realistic'.

Basically, if you can pick it up, swing it and it would hold up in combat, it's realistic enough.
If you can't think of a use for a part of the blade or hilt, it's probably too 'fantasy' Tongue.

Regarding this model, only thing OTT is the colour (I am a fan of the inheritance cycle, so I understand Tongue).

If it was toned down, made with a bit of transparency for the 'iridescence', it would be much closer to being added Tongue.

For example:
-making the blade texture much less blue.
-Increasing blue specularity coeff

And for some detail, try adding some white (blur it a bit) around the edge of the blade. I also like to add some darker areas at the base of blades, which fades out as you go along and to the edges.

Using GIMP or Photoshop?
[/quote]

OK, bear with me here, I'm not the most experienced of texturers! I'm using photoshop, but what do you mean with specularity coeff?
Also, Hyper, I'll edit the crossguard texture, the white indeed is rather weird Tongue
So, for my next version:
  • edit crossguard texture
  • scale down blueness, add that weird thing Senni mentioned
  • darken towards the middle
  • make the sapphire transparent (a bit)

in openbrf, material tab: spec rgb, three boxes, three numbers.

max is 16 iirc, make the 3rd higher than the other two, model should look bluer.

EDIT: Also this isn't a knock against you, you've done extremely well for a first try (mine were much worse, might even still be in ryu's thread somewhere Tongue).
These are just hints/tips and the occassional hoop to jump through if you want it ingame Tongue.

Re: Maroon's Modeling Corner - Maroon - 22-04-2013

I understand you need to keep the quality of the in game stuff high, so none offense or whatsoever taken Tongue
I'll see how far I can get today!