Emails are disabled - for account issues, post in #help on the NI Discord.

Grammar Problems
Awesome!

(sorry 'merican i'm now an England lover UK UK UK!)

time for another question typical from a French dude :

As a French speaking guy, I'm always tempted to give gender to thing and object. Like if I want to say '' I'm going to push that flag away '' I do it this way : '' I'm going to push him away ''

BUT

The RULES tend to say that I should say '' I'm going to push it away. ''

I'm pretty sure the it is the way, but why? And can I say him or will it alarm your English Common sense?

thanks!
hum.. any chess player?
hook me up on chess.com : my nickname is LeIsatis!
It's about the gender of a noun. It's different with a lot of languages where even objects are male or female (such as French or Dutch), but in English it's very simple really. Nouns that refer to a female (queen, bitch) should be referred to with 'her' while words that refer to a male (stallion, actor) require 'his'. Nouns that are about a group or an object require 'it'. There is an exception: nouns that are associated with violence or power (sun, death) are also male.

I think you're pretty much safe if you referred to a flag with 'him', but since it has no gender you should say 'it' Tongue
SS?
Calm down people.
Gawds.
Exactly what is "SS"?
Start the game already!
(02-04-2012, 09:03 PM)Sparhawk link Wrote: Exactly what is "SS"?

Well, if we're talking about Hitler's secret police, the full term is "Schutzstaffel."

Anything other than that, I have no idea.
SB_Talgion_Cheeseliker (Commando/Militia)
SB_Hyrpyndyrpyn_IV (Skirmisher)
(27-03-2012, 12:36 PM)Hypernoma link Wrote: A few relics from English class proving that punctuation can be rather important!

Woman without her man is nothing.

Woman: without her, man is nothing.

Woman, without her man, is nothing.

[Image: Punctuation-saves-lives.jpg]

I really can't spot a difference in meaning between the first and the third sentences Tongue
(02-04-2012, 09:03 PM)Sparhawk link Wrote: Exactly what is "SS"?

Clearly referring to Stormshield.

I also can't spot the difference between the first and third one :/ The first one just seems to be more difficult to parse, while the meaning of the third sentence is immediately clear.
ba da bing ba da BAN! -Hypernoma
The first is nonsensical and simply meant as an example pre-punctuation. Apologies for the confusion!
Give a man a fish, and you have fed him for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will continue fishing even if you give him a fish.
- Fingus
It really hurts your brain when you try to spot a nonexistant connection Tongue
I thought I saw smoke from something... Must have been you.
Start the game already!