Emails are disabled - for account issues, post in #help on the NI Discord.

Automatic afk-kick?
(22-08-2012, 08:32 AM)Motte link Wrote: 1. People should not play when theyre up to other stuff then and should see that the only entity they should be angry at are themselves, for going afk in the first place. You do not HAVE to go afk, you know? Its all your own fault when you do and people have to face their own responsibilities, not go and blame it on a system, admins or other players. Ive got no compassion at all for people who - as in the example - say "Afk for 10 minutes." when facing a pretty tough boss and are being kicked, causing them to be angry. Let the dimwits rage, I say..
2. Well, ANYTHING posted in here as a feature request or proposal is more possible work for the devs, duh. I have not seen you going into other proposal quests saying "No, bad idea, it means more work for devs.", sorry. Moreover, Id like to emphasize the part in my first post where I said that Ive got no clue about programming, so if a dev told me "Sorry, this idea would blow all other scripts up/means so much programming that we could hardly do anything else anymore" Id be completelly fine with that; this is just an idea to take into consideration, not an order.
On the other hand, just something to think about for a while: Handling afk-reports does also consume time off our devs in their role as people who uphold the rules here. Comparing the possible amount of afk reports (->infinite) with the time it may take to write a script as proposed (-> maybe alot of time, maybe little time) actually leaves you with the impression, that the script may take future work off them, because they had one problem less to care about.
My point is, that there are more importand things where Dev's should put their work for instead of making a AFK kick system (Bugs on Maps, Invisable Claymore,...)
[move][align=center] S[color=blue]o[color=green]p[color=purple]h[color=brown]i[color=teal]e[/move]
[align=center][Image: whnwaa.jpg]
This is nice idea but it is not going to work like that. They can move a bit/make few kills to abuse system.
Then second problem is indeed shielders.

Only way to get rid of them is to click report player button ingame and come IRC to tell admin.
(Report Player button because it helps our work to find right players)

Ok time for a more technical answer; this is indeed a nice idea but on the coding side it has one problem that jumps out and slaps me in the face. An auto-afk kick would require another process to be running against every player on a server constantly. While on other PvP mods this is fine, the amount of processes that we constantly have running in the back ground due to the bots, cades, healing etc etc will make it rather difficult. While this could still be possible to run, it stands a high chance of making servers more laggy and increasing the chance of server crashes. This is not so say we won't have a look at it and see what the effect on a server would be, but rather advice not to hold your breath.

I encourage the use of IRC to report afk players, I kicked several last night while playing myself so it's not a huge issue. In regards to bias, I like to think there is none. I certainly could not care who I kick from a server and have kicked afk admins before. As for houses, I don't care what house they are from, that does not entitle ou to special treatment. I keep an eye on the names of players that are constantly being reported (a lovely feature of the banhammer) and this is what will determine whether a player receives a warning or not. If you feel admins are being bias or are not acting in a manner befitting their station then you are able to contact me and I will investigate any allegations.
Give a man a fish, and you have fed him for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will continue fishing even if you give him a fish.
- Fingus
Only thing that matters is whether you're an old faggot or not.
Thanks for the answers, Handy and Hypernoma and for taking a closer look. Too bad that - on first sight - it seems rather complicated.
RubianVendris - master peltast - level 17 alchemist
SirMottarionVendris - comando/militia/crossbowman - level 17 blacksmith
DargomVendris - sniper/infantry - level 20 armorsmith
EnaraVendris - sharpshooter - alibi-alchemist
uhm.. i would love to see that too, i mean Admins can more effiecient kick annyoing people, but only kicking afk players, also there are a lot of afk players.
Wusel @ Omnia
yeah irc is best thing!
Loots:
?.?.12 - Wormbane
4.6.18 - Penetrator

[Image: 76561198058198743.png]