Emails are disabled - for account issues, post in #help on the NI Discord.

Controversial idea, class limits to servers for the sake of fairness?
This idea may seem badly flawed  (wich it probably is) but hear me out on this one.

I´ve seen for a long time that games are still unbalanced even after the update. Newer players are more likely to pick an Archer class because it is practically impossible to contribute as an infantry.(may differ from person to person)  My idea is that of limit that still allows for 16 players but the placement is dispursed equally(8 Archers and 8 infantry for example) between the players that join the server.

The obvious problems would be that people would be annoyed not being able to join a server because of class and that certain strong Archers would be left out of important games. That is understandable.

But on the bright side, everyone gets a chance to contribute as there would be a equal amount of classes. Some people are just stuck being hybrids, not because they necessarily want to but because they are forced to.

Some people i´ve spoken to have said that it´s not about the individual but the team itself, fair enough, but thats an awfully easy thing to say when you´re an Archer. Next time, try standing idle in a corner and see if you still hold on to that statement.

In terms of Tech, i cant really tell since i dont have the expertise for this.

I will probably get some bad rep for this idea but the whole game as of now is a giant Archer slugfest.

If you disagree with my idea then thats okey but can you add an idea yourself and explain it, if it would work for better or worse?.

In layman's terms, its effectivity versus equality.
"Warriors of the World" x2 Ragnar x1 Prince 1x Loki
If we talk about newer people most of them cant buy a good archer and inf eq if you wanna reduce the archers you have to reduce pike snd xbow aswell and now the new people who have chosen xbow or pike canr join because there is a limit
Legendary Loots :
12.02.2017 Plate over Leather
4.03.2018   Defender Boots

"WS is full of scrubs like Thunder" Eyleen
"It was a hot day and i was annoyed " Lord Montagu 
"You can buy 2 Twigs for one Valsgarde" Managarm
"Banterin stop killing you are making my score look stupid" Qrvishion
"Wait arent you PCK? lol" VLKA_Julia
It is for sure the proper direction to change the current state of affairs which is "ranged behind walls". While appreciating the effort, I don't think it is not the proper way to do it.

The veteran players, we all have most existing classes chars and all of them well equipped. So it would be ok for us to see e.g. that all ranged spots are occupied in the server, we'd join with infantry then. But for the newbies it would be a pain while all they have is e.g. archer T4 and pikeman T2. They'd be left out of game. Really bad.

I really miss the old days tactics of shielders, slashers and ranged behind, with 2 x SHC being all team had for cadeing. I really liked those discussions in TS: how many shielders ('cause team needed 3 or 4 to play ragna)? And then ppl changing chars to compose the team. It is no more. Sad
I'm just not sure if it can be forced to return.

PS. what about all infantry event? Could be damn funny... Wink
It´s always been all about the efficiency of runs, how to successfully complete as many runs as possible in the given eventtime of 3h. I´m just playing for that feeling of getting a legendary, combining that with the challenge of kiting. Not alone, with a friend or even 2 at times, that´s all I need at this point.
On the technical side, the best we could do would be to lock people in spec if their class did not match the filter and maybe kick them (not very user friendly). The filter itself would be problematic since Pikeman and Legionnaire can play either as infantry or as ranged.

On the "should we" side, I would prefer to come up with some way to encourage the use of melee rather than use arbitrary restrictions. As far as how to do that, I'm not sure.

As I see it, part of the "problem" might be that infantry arguably has more negatives than ranged does because you have to go within striking distance of the Nords instead of sniping them from a distance which gives more chances to get hit by shotgun arrows or Nordic melee. Simply dropping the Nord damage might lessen that drawback but then the game as a whole would be easier so to some extent, this is also related to "how do we make Ragnarok harder" question.

Anyway, long story short: I'm not convinced that putting class restrictions on servers is a suitable option.
CC_Warden_Kip | CC_Sentinel_Kip | CC_Guard_Kip | CC_Zweihander_Kip | CC_Marksman_Kip | CC_Pavise_Kip | CC_Peltast_Kip | CC_Marauder_Kip | others...
(16-09-2017, 11:04 PM)Kip Wrote: On the technical side, the best we could do would be to lock people in spec if their class did not match the filter and maybe kick them (not very user friendly).  The filter itself would be problematic since Pikeman and Legionnaire can play either as infantry or as ranged.

On the "should we" side, I would prefer to come up with some way to encourage the use of melee rather than use arbitrary restrictions.  As far as how to do that, I'm not sure.

As I see it, part of the "problem" might be that infantry arguably has more negatives than ranged does because you have to go within striking distance of the Nords instead of sniping them from a distance which gives more chances to get hit by shotgun arrows or Nordic melee.  Simply dropping the Nord damage might lessen that drawback but then the game as a whole would be easier so to some extent, this is also related to "how do we make Ragnarok harder" question.

Anyway, long story short: I'm not convinced that putting class restrictions on servers is a suitable option.

Main problem with inf has always been late hard mode and rag.  As you said, you have to be within range of the nords to do anything.  Problem with this is on harder waves they will 1-2 hit you even with the top end game gear and you have to hit one bot like 50 times.  I'd suggest either lowering the melee dmg of certain bots or raising the infantry armor values and weapon damage to better balance the risk vs reward of engaging in melee.  

It has always been fun fighting in close quarters, but when you have to put yourself in such danger and land so many attacks to even scratch an enemy, why bother?  On top of this, warband melee tends to feel a bit clunky when you're in close with more than 1-2 enemies near by.  I could just go ranged and land 1-2 headshots for the same kill all from the safety of barricades.  I love melee classes but tbh most of the time it just doesnt feel "worth it" when the advantages of ranged classes are just so staggering.

edit: Bring back unlimited tomes and I'll bring back the heroic commando charges -_^
(17-09-2017, 02:08 AM)Tsukiyomi Wrote: edit: Bring back unlimited tomes and I'll bring back the heroic commando charges -_^

Good deal jaja
Save bosses on hard I can't think of any bot that can always one hit me and most take 3-4 hits
Some times if the guys with the great big axe can get it just right they black bar me but that doesn't kill me most of the time
and on rag it's not tell wave 11 that they start one hitting me
BTW I'm on RG with full plate
Well, Tsukiyomi was exaggerating with the numbers he gave, still his point stands. Melee is much more risky and difficult than to sit behind the wall placed the way the enemy ranged can't see you and headshoting enemy inf. This tactics had not been possible until so many ppl got themselves the walls. Nerfing walls was probably the right direction, it's just that they need some more nerf maybe to force shielders into the runs again.
I think that there should be a "Late round joining maximum" for Rag only.

If you join a run that has say 2 people on wave 12 on a rag server. It should only allow 2 more slots in the run or whatever number, I really dislike 5 people(half are melee that bring 0 support) joining w9 rag right after loke, and most of the time 4 of them die within the first 10 bots of wave 10... then they just leave.
08/15/16 - White Dragon Helmet
08/25/16 - Dragon Axe
10/2/16 - Ornate Crusader Helmet
11/6/16 - Gothic Salet
12/1/16 - Wulfsbane
1/8/17 - Ornate Bascinet
11/19/17 - Legacy