Emails are disabled - for account issues, post in #help on the NI Discord.

Armor smithing
(21-03-2012, 04:49 AM)Shandathe link Wrote: I too am very troubled by this whole armorsmithing situation.
Before I start, please don't go around flaming me or anything. I am just trying to voice my concerns and well, complaints. I really am wondering about the usefulness of armorsmithing and its worth.

Issue 1: Experience and leveling
I) Materials cost WAY too much for the experience provided. I know this is because of the auction house and not because of the way it is setup but I feel that something should be done about it. 1.5k for Mixed Glue? Highlander Armor requires 5 of them and only gives 50exp.
II) Experience gained from crafting is pretty crappy considering the materials required to craft them.
III) I checked into alchemy and they have recipes that provide over 100 exp by the time they are level 3 or 4. We on the other hand need to work all the way up to what? Level 8? 9?

Issue 2: Cost
I) We have to craft like a million things that do not sell at all on the auction house because everybody can buy WAY better gear from the marketplace and some items do not even vendor well at all.

Issue 3: Worthwhile
I) How is this even worthwhile? We can't make anything better than what you can buy from the marketplace (aside from perhaps Transitional Armor, good luck getting that). Actually, you can buy WAY better items from the marketplace (except maybe gloves, but who is really going to pay 4000k for 4ba?) and at a rather cheap price as well.

In my honest opinion, armorsmithing is in a desperate need for a makeover or balancing. Hopefully at least a detailed review of the situation.

not only armorsmiths suffer from that but also blacksmith and alchemists
the disadvantage of long lines is that people get lost in the text
(21-03-2012, 03:38 PM)scott_slod link Wrote: not only armorsmiths suffer from that but also blacksmith and alchemists

I can see where you are coming from. As long as there is an auction house, the society controls the prices. However, I looked into the recipes compiled by the members of this society and I truly do feel that the armorsmiths have the short end of the straw. Could be bias as I am a armorsmith, and I absolutely agree that blacksmiths are also in a SIMILAR state, but blacksmiths are not in as bad of a state as armorsmiths.

At level 2, blacksmiths can craft Sharp Arrows which is the best quality arrow that everyone can use. Even when you become an Archer, you can still only buy Arrows. Then at level 4, you can craft Sharp Barbed Arrows which is better than the Barbed Arrows that are the best arrows that Longbowman can buy. At level 6, you can craft Highlander Shields. As a Heavy Infantry, I still cannot buy anything better than that.
Then there is level 7. The level in which you can craft the Grosse Messer. And the materials? 3x Steel, 3x Metal, 1x Leather, 1x Normal Grindstone and 1x Normal Charcoal. Steel requires 3x Metal and 1x Coal.

Compare that to the armorsmith.
At level 1, you can make the recruit armor. But honestly, who has ever bought that before? On the plus side, level 2 for armorsmiths is quite good. You get to make decent gloves, boots, helms etc. and most of all, leather jerkin.
But after that, everything goes south...
Level 3. Who is going to spend 5 metal, 3 cloth and 1 normal charcoal to make mail gauntlets with 3ba? The gambeson isn't even an upgrade over the leather jerkin. And the deployable shield? Not many people are willing to buy a SUPPORT item.
Level 4. Highlander boots. Yes, this is probably the best boots available for everyone. Then again, by the time you are able to make these, you probably have leveled up and have access to better boots.
Level 5. Wait, we don't even HAVE anything for level 5.
Level 6. Highlander Armor. 5 Leather, 2 Cloth, 2 Metal, 5 Mixed Glue, 2 Needle. All for 50 exp. Again, even though it is usable by everyone. Who is going to buy it? Even IF Mixed Glue sold for 1k each, that is still at least 5k. The only people with that kind of cash lying around would be people with existing characters, which means that they a) have their own already, or b) make their own, or c) have a friend make them one.
Not to mention that the only people who would actually use this item are: players who haven't classed up yet (read the point right above), archers (then again, would they spend that much on ARMOR when they can run around and kite?), or cavalry (which ride around, and though I haven't checked, I would assume that they have better armor available to them). I know for a fact that Heavy Infantry have way better armor in the marketplace and for a much cheaper price as well.
The way things are going, I would suggest just making 1 item that can be used to grind out crafting levels until they can make Transitional Armor, or maybe just make Transitional Armor the missing level 5. After all, most of the other recipes are practically useless.

Oh yea, forgot to mention... Grosse Messer gives 104 exp. Highlander Armor... 50.
Famous last words: "I'll wait here while you check that bush..."
All of the crafting professions craft at a loss compared to an individual that simply sells materials on the auction house since there are an abundance of crafters past level 15, and there is no cost (Crafting only takes one second now) associated with crafting, but instead a benefit via exp.

I'm actually having a much harder time leveling my alchemist than my armorsmith.
(22-03-2012, 09:31 AM)Shandathe link Wrote: [quote author=scott_slod link=topic=107.msg17239#msg17239 date=1332344284]
not only armorsmiths suffer from that but also blacksmith and alchemists

I can see where you are coming from. As long as there is an auction house, the society controls the prices. However, I looked into the recipes compiled by the members of this society and I truly do feel that the armorsmiths have the short end of the straw. Could be bias as I am a armorsmith, and I absolutely agree that blacksmiths are also in a SIMILAR state, but blacksmiths are not in as bad of a state as armorsmiths.

At level 2, blacksmiths can craft Sharp Arrows which is the best quality arrow that everyone can use. Even when you become an Archer, you can still only buy Arrows. Then at level 4, you can craft Sharp Barbed Arrows which is better than the Barbed Arrows that are the best arrows that Longbowman can buy. At level 6, you can craft Highlander Shields. As a Heavy Infantry, I still cannot buy anything better than that.
Then there is level 7. The level in which you can craft the Grosse Messer. And the materials? 3x Steel, 3x Metal, 1x Leather, 1x Normal Grindstone and 1x Normal Charcoal. Steel requires 3x Metal and 1x Coal.

Compare that to the armorsmith.
At level 1, you can make the recruit armor. But honestly, who has ever bought that before? On the plus side, level 2 for armorsmiths is quite good. You get to make decent gloves, boots, helms etc. and most of all, leather jerkin.
But after that, everything goes south...
Level 3. Who is going to spend 5 metal, 3 cloth and 1 normal charcoal to make mail gauntlets with 3ba? The gambeson isn't even an upgrade over the leather jerkin. And the deployable shield? Not many people are willing to buy a SUPPORT item.
Level 4. Highlander boots. Yes, this is probably the best boots available for everyone. Then again, by the time you are able to make these, you probably have leveled up and have access to better boots.
Level 5. Wait, we don't even HAVE anything for level 5.
Level 6. Highlander Armor. 5 Leather, 2 Cloth, 2 Metal, 5 Mixed Glue, 2 Needle. All for 50 exp. Again, even though it is usable by everyone. Who is going to buy it? Even IF Mixed Glue sold for 1k each, that is still at least 5k. The only people with that kind of cash lying around would be people with existing characters, which means that they a) have their own already, or b) make their own, or c) have a friend make them one.
Not to mention that the only people who would actually use this item are: players who haven't classed up yet (read the point right above), archers (then again, would they spend that much on ARMOR when they can run around and kite?), or cavalry (which ride around, and though I haven't checked, I would assume that they have better armor available to them). I know for a fact that Heavy Infantry have way better armor in the marketplace and for a much cheaper price as well.
The way things are going, I would suggest just making 1 item that can be used to grind out crafting levels until they can make Transitional Armor, or maybe just make Transitional Armor the missing level 5. After all, most of the other recipes are practically useless.

Oh yea, forgot to mention... Grosse Messer gives 104 exp. Highlander Armor... 50.
[/quote]

about the blacksmith part:

- starting at blacksmith will hardly get a profit or cash (except those sharp arrows but its decline also)
- almost every blacksmith total item cost more then the items it need to produce
- although blacksmith make rather good items they produce more then the demand
-  blacksmiths have no use for cloth (with seems they get more often then other classes) then to sell next to nothing (70-90 or 100 if lucky) with isn't  enough for there materials
- at lvl 7 we need to buy leather and lvl 8 mixed clue and lvl 9 woven steel with (except leather doesn't come cheap)
- and about the highlander shield does require 3 leather 2 mixed clue 1 steel 2 wood 2 needles and 2 normal charcoal (with make it at least a about 5k aleady)

but at crafting in general it haves to chance because:
1st it only profitable if you are a high lvl
2nd a medium to high % of items are rather useless
3th there is simply to much production of items
the disadvantage of long lines is that people get lost in the text