Emails are disabled - for account issues, post in #help on the NI Discord.

Mountain Pass - Why does no one use the lower pass?
So, it seems that almost all players like to defend the upper pass. I understand that it has a nice choke point for people to setup deloyable shields.

The lower pass offers just about everything as the upper pass and more (queue cheesy ad music):
1) there is choke point at the rock fall that is even with the upper choke point (it might be slightly wider, but really close -- I've spent too much dead time flying around looking at the map)
2) more space for archers to spread out -- they can be on the citadel, on the back part of the upper pass, and all along the down part of the lower pass -- all raining down on the enemy. Plus, you can line of sight the whole time. On the upper pass, you have the dip where the oncoming army disappears for a a little bit
3) if/when the horde breaks through the wall, they are then coming up hill and slower, rather than downhill and fast -- plus, it leaves a little more room for infantry to spread out, and for those will polearms to swing
4) more people close to the soup/arrow refill rather than all bunched up
5) for shielded opponents, archers at shield have better access to feet/knees shooting up hill

The only negative is the potentially wider pass (not much like I said) and for the bots have a little but more open space with throwing weapons.
House Thalheimer: Galen (Legionnaire), Wilhelm (Warden), Johann (Chosen Marksmen), Friedrich (Master Peltast) [Engineers]
Crafting: Blacksmith Max, Armorsmith Max, Alchemy Max, Support 22, Defender 14
NI House: The Order of Scarlet Blade Scarlet Knights
NI Banners - NI Banner Prototypes

mainly because bot love the higher pass and we hate being attack per behind

but i'm with you on this lower pass needs some love.
hum.. any chess player?
hook me up on chess.com : my nickname is LeIsatis!
i agree with wat u are saying about the lower pass and i use it every so often. however, the upper pass does have something that i absolutely love/need to have. a shrine. as an archer is really nice to not have to go all the way back to spawn to get arrows when there is the shrine right next to the action. plus to top it off the shrine give me everything i need in less than 5 seconds.

so basically i get wat i need in a quicker time without even needing to leave the action. maybe this is why people prefer the upper pass.
PEW PEW!!!! PEW PEW PEW!!!!!!!
PK_Wolfsblood: Prince kills 2 , thor kills 1
PK_Wolfsfang: thor kills 1
PK_Wolfsclaw: prince kills 2, Thor kills 1, odin kills 1
PK_Wolfman: prince kills 1
(07-03-2012, 03:00 AM)Wolfsblood link Wrote:however, the upper pass does have something that i absolutely love/need to have. a shrine.

I'm not sure if you noticed it yet, but the shrine was thrown all the way back next to where the Nords spawn, towards where the two paths converge. Going near it isn't even a viable option anymore unless you're kiting some slow infantry.
Captain_Stoogey
The upper pass provides more cover against enemy archers/ranged in my experience.
So...disregard last post....devs moved the shirne farther forward  :'(
PEW PEW!!!! PEW PEW PEW!!!!!!!
PK_Wolfsblood: Prince kills 2 , thor kills 1
PK_Wolfsfang: thor kills 1
PK_Wolfsclaw: prince kills 2, Thor kills 1, odin kills 1
PK_Wolfman: prince kills 1
Quote:mainly because bot love the higher pass and we hate being attack per behind

bots only ever go up on the top pass if there are people up there. If you work as a group and stick to the one pass you shouldn't get flanked. Same can be said about people defending the top pass and one person goes on the bottom.
(07-03-2012, 03:33 AM)BigBird link Wrote:The upper pass provides more cover against enemy archers/ranged in my experience.

That would be the one con I mentioned. However, if people were a little more spread out, they would have to throw into more area rather than pelting one small area with javs.
House Thalheimer: Galen (Legionnaire), Wilhelm (Warden), Johann (Chosen Marksmen), Friedrich (Master Peltast) [Engineers]
Crafting: Blacksmith Max, Armorsmith Max, Alchemy Max, Support 22, Defender 14
NI House: The Order of Scarlet Blade Scarlet Knights
NI Banners - NI Banner Prototypes

This is my rough drawing of mountain pass... Here you can see when 1,2,3,4 (bots) spawn they have much better line of sight down mountain pass than up it. This is what I meant, nothing to do with the size of each pass.
When there are about 10+ people, the best strategy IMO is to have two teams with a few good infantry and a few good archers at each level, near the shrine. The archers stand farther back and the infantry can backpeddle along their pass. That way the bots get split up and you won't get an entire team clusterfucking itself. I always try to motivate people to come with me to the lower pass, and with a little cooperation it works great. Infantry needs to have good shields, though.