Emails are disabled - for account issues, post in #help on the NI Discord.

Compensating modelers for their work
I expect a lot of negativity, but decided to give it a try anyway.

As far as I know the current dev team policy for 3d modelers, is that they offer their work to the mod, and in exchange they recive...appreciation and so called "fame". So lets assume that they dont feel like they need those things and would rather get something more "valuable". Is it possible that a person offering a textured model to the mod, will get some gold or crafting mats in return? All in all, he could just play NI (and gain the wealth) instead of spending hours to make that 3d model.

I suppose it could look like that:

1. the dev team makes a list of weapons (& armors) they need and create some basic guidelines (ie. maximum number of tris, LODs and so on).
2. someone offers to make a weapon from the list and shows concept sketches, photos et cetera to show what he is going to make.
3. The devs agree or not, propose changes and inform how much they can offer for that work.
4. If devs accept proposal, the creator make a textured model and sent it for the evaluation.
5. The devs make a list of things they want to be improved or changed and estimate a value of the model according to its quality.
6. If creator agrees about the proposed reward, he refines his model according to the requests (otherwise both sides may negotiate or whatever).
7. The creator sends the finished model and gets the reward. The creator is happy, the dev team is happy and everyone is happy too. The End.

I dont know how high those rewards should be. It really depends on how many work hours are required to make the particular model (for example making a shield is very easy and fast, while body armor or helmet is way more difficult and time consuming.

BoS_Niezdara - LVL 52 Repeaterman - Blacksmith LVL 22 | BoS_Niezdara_Guard - LVL 52 Royal Guard - Armorsmith LVL 25 | BoS_Niezdara_Peltast - LVL 52 Master Peltast - Alchemist LVL 25 | BoS_Niezdara_Warden - LVL 52 Warden
I understand where this is coming from, untl the Modeling Contest I had kinda been hoping that the weapons/armor I make would be added to my inventory as a reward, because I've grown particularly fond of some of the items I've made, but seeing that was the first prize for the contest, that's not a likely reward.
It's a good idea, imo, but the reward shouldn't be too high.
I was never here, you saw nothing...

Motivational tip: When you wake up in the morning, look in the mirror and say confidently, "That's a nice head you have on your shoulders."
I like your idea, we need models and modellers need encouragement.

However, the reward system would need looking into. Rather than have it on a negotiation basis, I'd like a tiered system which everyone can see. (There will be criteria for each tier and reward amount)

As the less time we have to spend administrating things, the more time we have to develop things.
Currently, my time is split 50:50 between actual developing and dealing with administration based issues. Which I'm sure is true for most the dev team (there is always something to do Tongue). So I'd like to keep the developing time as high as possible Tongue.

Also I hope a pre-defined tier system would be fairer and clearer. And hopefully less people leaving their models unfinished because they didn't get the reward they wanted.

Anyway, I will look into this!
Nothing is impossible, it's just a matter of determination and probability.

2nd Knight forever!

No longer active.
well, senni, it is not like you would not have volunteers to help you out
Some kind of appreciation would be nice, yeh..

At least say thanks.  Wink
(27-08-2013, 05:24 PM)-Perception- link Wrote: Some kind of appreciation would be nice, yeh..

At least say thanks.  Wink
The thing is that "thanks" is not enough, at least for me. I'm not talking about getting a weapon into inventory or earning millions - tens or hundreds of thousands is more adequate. I would dare to ask for a million only if I done something like an excellent quality body armor or even full set.
BoS_Niezdara - LVL 52 Repeaterman - Blacksmith LVL 22 | BoS_Niezdara_Guard - LVL 52 Royal Guard - Armorsmith LVL 25 | BoS_Niezdara_Peltast - LVL 52 Master Peltast - Alchemist LVL 25 | BoS_Niezdara_Warden - LVL 52 Warden
I'd like to make it clear, I personally put a tonne of my time and effort, into making sure that community contributions make it into the game and are appreciated. Seeing people suggesting I don't even say 'thanks' is disconcerting. I do my best, while I try to personally thank each and every contributor, I also realize there is a chance I may have missed someone. Please accept my sincere apology and deepest thanks if I missed you. I hope you all can appreciate this.

But you should also realize modellers are not the only ones, (outside of the dev team) putting in many hours outside of NI, when they could be playing NI.
Just take a moment and think about the mappers, the admins, contributors on the forums (not general posts, but helpful posts which improve the NI community) and the leaders of the community (house leaders etc).

All of these people put MANY hours into improving NI in some form. Most of them on a regular basis. None of them are given items or other ingame rewards. Only the admins get the perk of being able to join full servers, but their workload is much greater.

Modellers do receive in game rewards, but only after considerable contribution. And their reward tends to be substantial.
None of the other contributors get rewards, EVER.

The reasons for this a numerable. As this is a game about acquisition (I will list a few reasons):
- We do not wish to dilute current items with a new inflow.
- Undermine current methods of acquisition.
- Create hostility in the player base towards contributors for a potentially 'easier' method of item gathering.

However, as I said before, I will look into this suggestion (globally, not just for modellers).

However, this is glossing over all the appreciation all contributors get. Both from the community and the Development team.

Once again, modellers stand to get the most public appreciation. Ingame items often become the goal of many to acquire and often admired for their beauty. They are obvious contributions, and get a lot of appreciation from the public.
Other contributions also get appreciation, but not nearly as broad or great as models do.

I personally try to show when I can, how much each and every contribution means not only to the Development of NI, but also to me. Without contributors, NI would not the mod it is today.

I will continue to look into this; but please in the meantime, while it may not be obvious or in item form, we do try to give a tonne of appreciation to all contributors (especially modellers).
I hope you can understand this.
Nothing is impossible, it's just a matter of determination and probability.

2nd Knight forever!

No longer active.
I just make models when i'm really bored. I don't think any of them have been accepted though. Tongue
[Image: gQUGcYN.gif?1]
Like you said admins can join servers even if its full and are able to sneak in a friend just by leaving full server and rejoining after he gets in - I consider that a quite usefull perk. Mapmakers can "use" their own creation in NI, because they can simply play on their own maps with friends. In case of a modeler, he has no influence on how his work will be implemented. As a result a weapon he made could end up as an exclusive for the class he doesn't play or as a legendary (or high-end craftable) which he will never be able to afford. I suppose its just me, but I would be very upset not being able to obtain something I have put much effort and time.

Personally I would prefer to recieve a small reward for creating an item that I can hope to obtain (even marketplace quality thing) then hoping that devs some day consider that I've contributed enough (who knows how much "considerable" is?) and give me that awesome "substantial reward" (whatever it is).
I just like things to be "fair and square" and without all that "PR bullshit"- I do may job for the earlier agreed reward, we exchange stuff, shake hands and say goodbay.

As for the reasons you listed, have you ever asked the playerbase if they consider modeling "easier meathod of item gathering"? (how this supposed to be method of item gathering anyway? I didnt propose adding a created weapon to his creator inventory). If anyone think its easier to spend hours making 3d model and textures then playing NI, I really advise him to try to finish at least one decent quality 3d model before he come up with this opinion.
Also adding new items won't dilute anything as long as they won't be a "new best weapons". For example how adding a few blacksmith craftable blunt weapons for T4 would dilute current items? There are areas where nothing can be "diluted", cause there are nothing really there - like marketplace stuff for hero classes or house crafted polearms.

Last but not least appreciation SUCK! How many of you people would work hours IRL for an appreciation? I just don't buy that "They are obvious contributions, and get a lot of appreciation from the public" - vast majority of NI items are either from warband or from the OSP packs. How many of those players, who try to get these items know who created them? How many of them know who is xenoargh, mackie or narf? I think I'll actually try to pick some ppl ingame and ask if they know who made those items they are currently using -  if they appreciate them so much they surely know.

Anyway its REQUEST  - I don't demand anything. If devs say "no" than I'll go back to play NI and won't bother about it more. But if devs say "yes" then I'll be more then motivated to fill some"gaps" in the NI armory and I'm pretty damn sure I won't be the only one.
(27-08-2013, 09:20 PM)Niezdara link Wrote: Last but not least appreciation SUCK! How many of you people would work hours IRL for an appreciation? I just don't buy that
What exactly do you think we do?
Give a man a fish, and you have fed him for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will continue fishing even if you give him a fish.
- Fingus