Emails are disabled - for account issues, post in #help on the NI Discord.

[Submission] Great Calradic Halls (Updated!)
In the ancient days of the Calradic Empire, their workmanship was unmatched. Their greatest accomplishment was the great architecture of Praven, which included the great hall, where the kings held their courts, the barracks and bunks of the highest esteemed Calradic soldiers, a worship area, a tavern, a medicine man, an arena for soldiers to practice, and more. When the Calradic Empire fell, and Swadia took their place in Praven, the great halls fell into ruin. For centuries, the stone halls fell into more and more of a ruinous state. But this was not the end. Recently, Harlaus has mounted a huge campaign to restore the ancient greatness of the halls. The court was returned to the great hall, one of the most ruined places in all of Swadia. Massive teams of excavators joined the aristocracy in court many a day. The shrines were restored, and soldiers returned to their proper barracks, albeit centuries late. Harlaus personally travelled to find a medicine man to occupy the quarters of the old Calradian one. The arena returned to use. This became the main focus of the king for the year up to the invasion of the Nords, when his attention was diverted. But soon, as the Nords advanced onto Praven, he realized his peril. He brought his best soldiers back to his keep, went to his personal quarters, and locked the door as tight as he could, praying that his soldiers could do what he could not; fight in battle. After all, he was not a soldier at heart.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9t84em2pbs7zuh..._scene.sco
0x00000001300389800003a4ea000058340000637a0000399b

Screenshots:
Central ideas behind the scene:
1) Skillful kiting.
There are purposefully no loops large enough for contiguous kiting within this scene, but there is a very long path, and many clever ways for players to avoid being stuck. Risks will need to be taken to continue kiting, more so than in normal scenes, but it is possible much more than scenes such as Hyper's Hell or Swadian Temple where you have no chance to kite after a certain point.

2) Strategic cading.
Many scenes have one clear place to barricade; that is not the case for this one. Do you want to continue getting assist xp while you heal but be vulnerable to ranged? Are you willing to lose out on that assist xp but have access to ammo and healing free from ranged bots? Do you want to have a great cading spot, with everything needed, but shooters will be out of xp range? Will you risk shielders being headshot easily, having no access to ammo or health, and the lack of space for shooters in exchange for not needing to use cades as long as you have two shielders? These are some of the choices that need to be made when choosing a cading spot, and my goal was purposefully to break the monotony of the same cading spot each game.

3) Exploration.
The scene is also designed to be explored. There is a very large playable area, and it is intentional that you should need to utilize most of the space in the scene. Not exactly sure how to explain this one, other than the fact that I made it big on purpose.

As another note: This scene will also be in the new version of Full Invasion, as I was approached by one of their devs about this scene.
Look nice, your map remember at The great hall + Hyper hell.
NI maps (The forgotten bay Nordic Fortress / Frosthaven / Medieval fields / River's conflict / Swadian Mines )
(09-04-2014, 12:20 PM)AlphA-Fr link Wrote: Look nice, your map remember at The great hall + Hyper hell.
+1
Prince: 11x  (twice in 1 hour)  Torturer: 39x
Ragnar: 4x                              Nord War Marshal: 9x
Thor: Not my Brother!             Loke: 5x
Odin: 2x                                 Nord Siege Cpt: 19x
Princess Dortea: 1x               ALCHEMIST LEVEL 18!
Got KICKED to death by HANDE twice  || looted 30+ Aketons
Finished the ai mesh and the sparse areas have been spiced up a bit.

I'm not sure how to test it with an actual NordInvasion game to see if bots get stuck though. ???
In the second image, it's pretty obvious that you're using the same rubble prop repeatedly. It gives the map a very artificial feel.

You should consider how each prop is significant to the scene. Why would it logically be where it is? How was it used? What is the history behind it, and how does it connect to the backstory?

Is there a reason for the suit of armor in picture 2? The hall is supposed to support a barracks, so there should be more places for soldiers to eat. Then again, the hall hasn't been in use, and clearly the rubble has not been fully removed, so it is doubtful that soldiers would actually be using the hall at this time. There shouldn't be much food on the tables aside from a pot of soup or barrel of beer for the small (or big) team of excavators. Since the hall has fallen into disuse, should the fountain still have water? Should the plants still be alive? Or perhaps plant life has taken over the hall wherever sunlight can reach. These are just a few things that come to mind when I ask myself these questions while looking at your screenshots and reading the backstory.

Anyway, keep it up. Mapmaking is hard work.
ba da bing ba da BAN! -Hypernoma
Thank you for the feedback, it truly does help to flesh out the scene. Smile

Picture 2 is of the ruined great hall, which has recently come into use by Harlaus, and that is why the newly built statue is there. Food is upstairs. The barracks are in picture 1. (only the place where soldiers equip themselves; beds are elsewhere)

I agree that plant life should have taken over slightly more, I will add that. I also agree that the same rubble prop is used too much, but I can't find many others that would fit. :-\ If you know of anything please let me know.
(10-04-2014, 05:29 AM)The Dark Robin link Wrote: Thank you for the feedback, it truly does help to flesh out the scene. Smile

Picture 2 is of the ruined great hall, which has recently come into use by Harlaus, and that is why the newly built statue is there. Food is upstairs. The barracks are in picture 1. (only the place where soldiers equip themselves; beds are elsewhere)

I agree that plant life should have taken over slightly more, I will add that. I also agree that the same rubble prop is used too much, but I can't find many others that would fit. :-\ If you know of anything please let me know.

Didn't know we had a king that managed to survive for the past 200 years...
I was never here, you saw nothing...

Motivational tip: When you wake up in the morning, look in the mirror and say confidently, "That's a nice head you have on your shoulders."
(10-04-2014, 06:46 PM)Maroon link Wrote: Didn't know we had a king that managed to survive for the past 200 years...
What? Where did I say that we have a 200 year old king?
Quote:About

Calradia has been at war for many centuries, and the once mighty Swadian empire has finally been defeated. The invading Nords have smashed their way through the realm decimating the Swadian armies in their way.

You represent one of the last hopes for a dieing nation, as part of Operation: Swadian Phoenix it is your job to fight back against the Nords and stop them from permanently eliminating Swadia from the map.
I was never here, you saw nothing...

Motivational tip: When you wake up in the morning, look in the mirror and say confidently, "That's a nice head you have on your shoulders."
That map looks like a greener version of a mix of Great Hall and Hyper´s Hell as already some guys said.
Just make a few things different and we have a great map Wink
[Image: Tarbs.jpg]
"I wish the germans would have melt the Eiffel Tower and make tanks to kill the french" - not telling
"I ain´t gonna drop my stuff for these guys" - Wambo
"What do you call the german Secret Service? -  SS" - not telling