Emails are disabled - for account issues, post in #help on the NI Discord.

Theorycrafting: The Shield Wall
Been meaning to make this thread for a while, but was too lazy to make the pictures in paint. I did not include archers in the pictures, since their positions are independent of whatever formation you take.

Anyway, I'm sure you're all familiar with the traditional shield wall, with slashers (whether commando or pikeman) in the gaps:

While this is effective, I think it can be improved upon by taking advantage of the polearm's capability to overhead through teammates, especially with the new 2 handed changes, though it would require a bit more coordination in getting into formation, in addition to requiring pikemen, who are somewhat rare.

Note that even before this patch, 1-handed/shield slashers did not take backswing damage, which opens up a few possibilities:

Shield wall with one handed slashers ready to shield if one of the shielders goes down:
Maximum defense wall:
Maximum offense shield wall:
Note that the number of shielders/slashers will vary with the size of the gap that you are shielding, the pictures are just to give a general idea of what the wall is composed of, and where each role should stand.
Reserved.
(27-06-2012, 03:48 PM)Huscarlton_Banks link Wrote: pikemen, who are somewhat rare.

I find that the only thing needed to maximize this is for the pikeman to bring a few more halberds into the match for the others to use.
#20108       SK_Iron_Marauder ;  Previously SK_Iron, SK_Ironhill, SB_Ironhill, Swadius_of_Ironhills
#2462148    SK_Mica ; Previously Fat_and_Ugly
#2441007    SK_Royal_Guard_Gneiss ; Previously SK_Herr_Gneiss_Preasts
#2451456    SK_Hardy_Meat_Piston
#2432942    Raicho
#2514714    Ric_Flair

I've always been too lazy to make a topic on shield walls myself, so I'll just piggy-back this onto your thread, Banks. I feel in certain environments, shield walls can be vastly improved creating a staggered line. By doing so, you are able to have your slashers behind the shielders and slashing diagonally, offering greater protection to the slashers.

Another point: currently, shield walls are quite rigid, but if some form of fluidity were introduced, it should make killing enemies holding long reach weapons easier. The line should undulate depending on the situation. To accomplish this, in a 2 person shield wall, one shield-bearer could move forward and backward according to the situation, and the slasher would move with that person.
ba da bing ba da BAN! -Hypernoma
I feel that most pikeman and shielders are one of the rare things nowadays sometimes i come on a sever and i can be one of the only shielders at the time most infantry want the kills rather than staying alive longer so they all run around with 2 hands spamming and barely blocking.
High level infantry are more likely to shield than sergeants or heavy infantry due to the lower levels needing the exp more and exp losing most of its meaning the higher up you go.
#20108       SK_Iron_Marauder ;  Previously SK_Iron, SK_Ironhill, SB_Ironhill, Swadius_of_Ironhills
#2462148    SK_Mica ; Previously Fat_and_Ugly
#2441007    SK_Royal_Guard_Gneiss ; Previously SK_Herr_Gneiss_Preasts
#2451456    SK_Hardy_Meat_Piston
#2432942    Raicho
#2514714    Ric_Flair

If only the Swadian Kite shield was cheaper, everybody would shield Tongue
I protect my homeland, I slaughter my foes, Heal and protect my friends. Like a sir.

[Image: qq3jur.jpg]