Emails are disabled - for account issues, post in #help on the NI Discord.

Computer Science future student needs advice
Hello all,

I have been accepted into university for computer science and because i know some members of the community are gifted with computers languages and other aspects. I was wondering if i could get some advice for the future and what branch of computer science is the best for  my future. Any ceneral information would be much appreciated.

Right now im interested in robotics and AI.

Thanks for reading this post

Have a nice day.
This isn't nessasarily the best place to ask for advice, but I can redirect you to anouther website that can provide help with this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/GradSchool
Or
http://www.reddit.com/r/AskAcademia

Both of these communities should be able to provide you with the advice you want. Good luck.
Looted A Frying Pan 11/25/14
[Image: tbavTdE.jpg]

(11-02-2015, 11:18 PM)Looter link Wrote: This isn't nessasarily the best place to ask for advice, but I can redirect you to anouther website that can provide help with this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/GradSchool
Or
http://www.reddit.com/r/AskAcademia

Both of these communities should be able to provide you with the advice you want. Good luck.

Im just getting all the info possible. Ive looked everywhere and am just using another resource available to me Smile And thanks for the links ill look at them also.
Quote:computer science
Do you have to learn programation?
NI maps (The forgotten bay Nordic Fortress / Frosthaven / Medieval fields / River's conflict / Swadian Mines )
The important thing here is that you got accepted and that you have desire to be something. The fact that you don't know it yet is fine. You are just starting with your education and you will probably love some things and hate the others.

Right now it's important to find out what you like, otherwise there won't be much purpose doing what you don't like. When you find that, try to specialize in it, whatever that is.

You will constantly reinvent yourself trough out your career, and what is the best branch now may not be the best when you graduate or with some years of experience. But as long as you like what you do, you will be able to specialize in a new thing every once in a while.

Also not sure if I'm the best person to offer advice. Graduated in 2008, worked in great companies ever since, all worked out well for me thankfully. And here I am playing games hehe
(12-02-2015, 01:20 AM)Emir link Wrote: The important thing here is that you got accepted and that you have desire to be something. The fact that you don't know it yet is fine. You are just starting with your education and you will probably love some things and hate the others.

Right now it's important to find out what you like, otherwise there won't be much purpose doing what you don't like. When you find that, try to specialize in it, whatever that is.

You will constantly reinvent yourself trough out your career, and what is the best branch now may not be the best when you graduate or with some years of experience. But as long as you like what you do, you will be able to specialize in a new thing every once in a while.

Also not sure if I'm the best person to offer advice. Graduated in 2008, worked in great companies ever since, all worked out well for me thankfully. And here I am playing games hehe
Thanks so much for the advice. Thats what im planning to do, go into uni and see what takes my fancy. Im just unsure as to what comes after that. And to be honnest, playing games sounds awesome and it does give me a great sence of hope that you went into companies that you enjoyed after you graduated. Hopefully i will do the same.

Thanks again for the advice
(12-02-2015, 12:42 AM)AlphA-Fr link Wrote:
Quote:computer science
Do you have to learn programation?
I mean in general such as robotics, AI, networking etc. I would like to be advised on what i need to learn most for after uni or even during it. Im trying to get the best knowledge about the subject im going into and have chosen for my future.
A bit late to the party, but I agree with Emir. The university's program will go over a lot of different topics within computer sciences, so try em all, and see what floats your boat the best! Especially the case in IT, considering how ever-fluctuating the market is.
I was never here, you saw nothing...

Motivational tip: When you wake up in the morning, look in the mirror and say confidently, "That's a nice head you have on your shoulders."
(14-02-2015, 09:06 PM)Maroon link Wrote: A bit late to the party, but I agree with Emir. The university's program will go over a lot of different topics within computer sciences, so try em all, and see what floats your boat the best! Especially the case in IT, considering how ever-fluctuating the market is.
Thanks for the advice. That looks like what i am going to do then. Lets just hope i dont enjoy something that doesn't pay well or not have a job at the end of uni for me haha.
For computer engineers everything pays well. If you want easy life go systems administration. If you want money go systems security. If you want best development opportunities and lots of fun, go programing for mobile devices (damn fast growing branch now and for at least a generation more).
If anything I could say on the matter.

But the best advice I think was Maroon's. Just see what you like best and what you find you're good at. It's nice to have a job that pays a lot, but it's even better to have one that gives you lots of fun.