Emails are disabled - for account issues, post in #help on the NI Discord.

Commando vs. Sergeant/Longbowmen
I'm just nearing sergeant, and I now have a decision to make about which way to go from there. First of all, as I understand it, level 42 is the cap, right? Which would mean a cap of 41 on class points? So if I go commando, I can't go into any of the other trees, but if I go sergeant, I can get up to tier 2 in another tree.

I've been reading a bit on the forums, and I've seen people say that commando doesn't really have a big advantage over sergeant. You can get just barely better armor and a couple new weapons. Any opinions on this? Also, could I be at least a somewhat effective archer if I stop at longbowmen? What I'm thinking about doing right now is to use a bow, two stacks of arrows, and a big two handed weapon or polearm. What do you guys think about this? Would I be better off just sticking with commando?

Edit: Actually something I didn't even think of was Heavy Longbowmen/Heavy Infantry. I already got myself Heraldic armor (50b/16l) and I don't think you can get anything better at sergeant, can you? Are the sergeant weapons a lot better than heavy infantry? Right now I can get a Two Handed Sword, which will probably be my next purchase.
I don't know about the infantry tier, but the archery one goes like this: the first one is a basic introduction to archery, so you only got a short bow and the most basic arrows. Each level improves the quality of the bows/archers aswell as the armor you get. I'm heavy longbowman and I can buy the cuir bouilli.
I've been told that the Cuir Boulli is also the best armor that a sergeant can get, and I think it has the same stats as Heraldic armor, right? If that's the case, then I think I'm set in terms of armor unless I decide to go Commando, which doesn't seem like a good idea to me at this point. So what I guess I'm the most interested to know about is the weapon differences between tier 2 and 3 for archers and infantry. If any of you guys have any idea, which is the bigger improvement? I was told that the longbow only becomes available as a heavy longbowmen. Is that a lot better than the tier 2 bow? And I believe the morningstar is the best weapon available to a sergeant? That's a bit too short for my liking though, even if it is strong. Is there anything better than that?
I hear Jez is gonna raise the level cap to 52 sometime so you'll get two levels in another class if you go commando at level 52.

Cuir Boulli has 50 body and 15 foot armor, Heraldic Mail with Surcoat has 49 body and 17 foot armor. Heraldic mail has 50 body armor and 16 foot armor.
As a sergeant I still use a two handed sword.
Weapon wise there isn't much difference on the Longbow and the Khergit bow, some even say the Khergit bow is better. Accuracy is different though, at Heavy Longbowman you hit pinpoint accuracy so that helps a lot. But Longbowman is of course also quite good and you have very decent accuracy with that as well.
Commando unlocks Great Sword and Huscarls Round Shield, which are both superb items. I highly recommend going commando if you enjoy working as a team with others, rather than trying to top the scoreboards. You can just shield (aka afk  Wink) and still contribute greatly to your team as a human wall. On the other hand, you can be a jack of all trades (except cavalry) with the Heavy Longbowman/Heavy Infantry combo, which allows you to take down Berserkers and Zweihanders from afar without relying on allied archers. I know quite a few players who went this route and they have a lot of fun doing it though there are some drawbacks.
ba da bing ba da BAN! -Hypernoma
(07-01-2012, 10:07 PM)clickeverywhere link Wrote: Commando unlocks Great Sword and Huscarls Round Shield, which are both superb items. I highly recommend going commando if you enjoy working as a team with others, rather than trying to top the scoreboards. You can just shield (aka afk  Wink) and still contribute greatly to your team as a human wall. On the other hand, you can be a jack of all trades (except cavalry) with the Heavy Longbowman/Heavy Infantry combo, which allows you to take down Berserkers and Zweihanders from afar without relying on allied archers. I know quite a few players who went this route and they have a lot of fun doing it though there are some drawbacks.

+1
Keep in mind: with the planned 52-level cap, you can afford to go for Longbowman now and still reach Commando once the level cap is raised. Or vice versa. So I'd say your choice at the moment doesn't actually restrict you in the long run.
Quote:My Little Personal Scripting Workshop (Companions Overseer presentation; Better Trade Goods, Better Civilians and Siege Camp Icon mini-mods; Scene Prop Iterator and AgentFinder script libraries).
(08-01-2012, 12:41 PM)Lav link Wrote: Keep in mind: with the planned 52-level cap, you can afford to go for Longbowman now and still reach Commando once the level cap is raised. Or vice versa. So I'd say your choice at the moment doesn't actually restrict you in the long run.

Yeah I just realized that, so now I'm rethinking Commando. Very difficult decision. I already went Longbowman, so now I'm Heavy Infantry/Longbowman. I'm not sure whether I want to go Sniper or Commando. Is Plate Armor restricted to Commando? Or can Snipers wear that too?