Emails are disabled - for account issues, post in #help on the NI Discord.

Valuing Legendaries
Dear NI community!

I decided to finally make this thread, because it simply doesn't exist yet.

My idea was to look at legendary weapons as if every class of legendaries (polearms, twohanded weapons, bows and, etc.) had the same effectiveness.
This should be given when all classes are perfectly balanced.
So after puttiing all these weapons into the right weapon sections, I decided to give them an attribute: the effectiveness, compared to the other legendaries of that class.
For example a Dragon Axe has the effectiveness of 1, because it's the legendary of it's class with the worst statistics. In comparation to the Dragon Axe a Dreaded Warpick is more effective, because it deals pierce damage. So the Dreaded Warpick was given an effectiveness value 2.
This is the list of the popular legendary weapons:

One-handed melee weapons: Effectiveness:
- Dragon Axe                         1
- Dreaded Warpick                   2
- Fang of Fenrir                       2
- Fell Edge                           2

Two-handed melee weapons:
- Worm Bane                       1
- Aurora Blade                     2
- Eastern Katana                     3
- Ancient Greatsword             3
- Volundr Greatsword             3

Polearmed halberds (Swing is more effective than thrust):
- Sun Pike                             1
- Dragon Halberd                     2

Polearmed pikes (Thrust is more effective than swing):
- Thunder Pike                     1
- Dragon Spear                     2
- Pike of Kings                       2

Bows:
- Fiendish Bow                     1
- Hurricane Bow                   2

Crossbows:
- Bolt Tosser                         1
- Penetrator                         2

Throwing weapons:
- Dragon Breath                   1
- Twig of Yggdrasil                   1

Helmets:
- Fearsome Knight Helmet         1
- Valsgarde Helmet                 2

In the end this "effectiveness" is still a personal decision I guess. People might wonder why the Pike of Kings and the Twig of Yggdrasil haven't got a higher value than the Dragon Spear and Dragon Breath. Therefore you need to have a closer look at the weapon statistics: Taking this example, the Pike of Kings has a higher range and a bit more damage, while the Dragon Spear has a higher speed rating and a bonus against shields. The Twig of Yggdrasil has a higher damage while the accuracy, the speed rating and the capacity of the Dragon Breath are superior.

So. You can compare the legendaries to other legendaries. But what we normal players cannot do is to give them a certain value. At this part of this thread I will use a variable which I'll call "X".
This variable contains numbers the normal players don't know, like the amount of all the money in the game or the drop rates and many more things.

This is the formula I suggest for the value of legendaries:

ValueOfACertainLegendary = EffectivenessOfThisLegendary * X / AmountOfLegendariesOfThisKindInTheGame

We don't know the X, but what we can do is to solve (not sure if this is the right word, I'm not that experienced in using mathematical phrases).
This works, because we have one equation with only one variable. This is simple mathematics.

I'll do this example with a Pike of Kings and a Dragon Spear:

For the Pike of Kings:
ValueOfACertainLegendary = 2 * X / 8 (assumption) = (1/4)X

for the Dragon Spear:
ValueOfACertainLegendary = 2 * X / 2 (assumption) = X

According to this a Dragon Spear should be 4 times more expensive than a Pike of Kings.

Some of you will blame me to be mad or something but this is still not a perfect formular, maybe I should only divide the effectiveness*X through a certain part of the amount of the legendaries of that kind.

If you're interested in improving this idea of valuing legendaries, just write a post below.

But still...in the end it's depending on how much the one person will pay and the other person wants to get...

This is just a suggestion, please tell me what you think about this!

With best regards,

Drunken
Wow. Nice. Thanks Drunken
FF_Skywalker- Marauder
FF_Skywallker- Warden
FF_Skywalllker- Zweihänder
Yep, I was going to do this as well at one point. I was however only going to compare similar weapons within its class. As in only compare 1handed cut weapons, as you can not compare these with 1handed pierce weapons. Using a 5 point rating system for each factor within a range. However, the range can not be consistent across all weapon types so without going in depth into the damage system of warband you can not get accurate results. Legendaries will still be sold for what people are willing to pay and what people are willing to let them go for. Any form of classification that lacks inclusive detail of the damage system will always be personal preference and should NOT be taken as their true value/effectiveness.
(14-04-2013, 11:05 AM)Ragnash link Wrote: Yep, I was going to do this as well at one point. I was however only going to compare similar weapons within its class. As in only compare 1handed cut weapons, as you can not compare these with 1handed pierce weapons. Using a 5 point rating system for each factor within a range. However, the range can not be consistent across all weapon types so without going in depth into the damage system of warband you can not get accurate results. Legendaries will still be sold for what people are willing to pay and what people are willing to let them go for. Any form of classification that lacks inclusive detail of the damage system will always be personal preference and should NOT be taken as their true value/effectiveness.
I've been thinking of that aswell and wasn't sure if I should post this thread, but then I thought there might be someone with an idea to improve this and make it more naturalistic.
Just wondering why does the dragons breath and twigs have the same effectiveness when twigs are better.
Cookie Monstah
My life inspiration

Quote:"It's not necessarily rip offs as all the people I traded were known players who have used the forum to sell items before." - #1 GOD
(14-04-2013, 11:11 AM)Mr_Moustashio link Wrote: Just wondering why does the dragons breath and twigs have the same effectiveness when twigs are better.
Hmmm haven't I mentioned that?

(14-04-2013, 09:20 AM)Drunken Monkey link Wrote: The Twig of Yggdrasil has a higher damage while the accuracy, the speed rating and the capacity of the Dragon Breath are superior.
What is the ingame speed rating of dragons breath, I thought twiggs were faster.....

*Edit Twiggs have a much higher throwing speed
VLKA_Benschie - Royal Guard, lvl 22 Alchemist
VLKA_Tanngnjostr - Master Peltast, lvl 16 Blacksmith
VLKA_Tanngrisnir - Marauder, lvl 19 Armorsmith
VLKA_Victim - Warden, lvl 37 Arrow Magnet
Nice work Monkey  Wink

I just have one question :

How are we supposed to know the amount of Legendaries of this kind in the game ?
Haha, I was just typing up what Yokmen said and pressed post, only to see that "a new reply has been posted" and it just so happened to be what I was going to say!  Great minds think alike?  :Smile
Before reading the following, take into account that I am vehemently against putting prices on legendary items since they are so prone variation.  I don't think that your equation directly translates into value.  Effectiveness on a scale of 1-2 over how many players own?  The prices of things would have went haywire during that week all of the Pike of Kings dropped!  Even so, I doubt that the Hurricane will ever be 7 times more expensive than the Fiendish, nor that the Dreaded War Pick will ever sell for 6 times more than the Dragon Axe.  Trade just don't work that way, they are much more complex and are very much based on human characteristics (obviously very illogical).  This concept could be very useful for many things, but pricing legendary drops is not, in my opinion, one of them. 

And valuating is not a word, try "valuing"
According to the singleplayer stats, these are the Twigs' stats:
Capacity: 14
Weight: 3.0
Ranged: 60p
Speed Rating: 87

And the Dragon Breath's:
Capacity: 16
Weight: 3.0
Ranged: 57p
Speed Rating: 93

Guess that's the answer on your question Wink

(14-04-2013, 11:22 AM)Vanguard_Yokmen link Wrote: Nice work Monkey  Wink

I just have one question :

How are we supposed to know the amount of Legendaries of this kind in the game ?

Someone could make a thread where they are counted, although that would probably not work out perfectly.