Emails are disabled - for account issues, post in #help on the NI Discord.

Hitler vs Stalin
I don't want to get banned, watched or punished in any other way for my curiosity.

Some time (week) ago (I don't remember a name of that player, a name of an admin, the time and server, so I know that I can be treated like someone untrustworth) some admin made some player (using a word of "Hitler" in his nickname) to change his nick- the reason he said was the word "Hitler" in his nick. There is also some player (don't want to write his name, to point him out) with word "Stalin" in his nickname, playing for few weeks. And now I'm wondering why admins allow that player to play with his Stalin-nick and make Hitler-nick one to change name. Is it about the count of people that Hitler murdered himself (because of his orders)? Stalin murdered a lot more of them! So what's the reason? Because I think that it's just because the majority of humanity thinks about Hitler as about someone... evil (sorry, I didn't found better word in my head). Very, very evil. And that's absolutely right. But what about the Stalin? People say that he was much more "better" than Hitler but they're wrong. He was as evil as Hitler (I guess). I think it's about the thing, that Stalin had never been punished for all the bad things he have done. An because people don't know the facts about the Stalin. So here is my question: why we can play with Stalin-nicknames and can't with Hitler ones?

Cheers

PS: Please, be serious with your posts.
PS2: ...and don't say that we shouldn't talk about these kind of things. We should. Really.
Playing NI since December 2011
I agree with you that those names shouldn't be used in online games. If you choose such a name you are pretty much aware of the fact that it might be offensive towards other players. I have seen the guy with "Stalin" in his name aswell and I can just say that he would be kicked for this at least in native (depends on the server though). It is harder to do this in NordInvasion since you have to pay to change your name.
Stalin is KSWNStalin something, he doesnt act like a idiot though, but it can be offensive to some people. Especially Poles like me!
It's a good point, actually. For some reason whenever I see a 'stalin-based' nickname I don't bat an eyelid, doesn't even register, yet when i see a hitler one, yeah, I think it's wayyy out of line...interesting. I've studied Russian/Soviet history and it's fair to say Stalin was a bigger monster than Hitler, by quite some margin as it happens.

It's likely to have something to do with Hitler being the aggressor, and his very...showy leadership style, speeches, rallies and so on, if you compare that to Stalin who was pretty much a shut-in that no one really ever saw, puts Hitler more in the spotlight for the blame and hate I suppose.
DB_Journeyman_Jon

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese." - Steven Wright
Dont get me started on Stalin. They were ruthless, every city they captured they raped women, looted, etc. Just as offensive as Hitler anyday.
I dont wanna go into a full out history discussion xD
Its bad when people have got to watch what they say in fear of being banned.  Watch "David Cole in Auschwitz Full Documentary"  on youtube, is Hitler just a victim of war time propaganda?
(29-08-2013, 08:06 PM)The Cid link Wrote: Its bad when people have got to watch what they say in fear of being banned.  Watch "David Cole in Auschwitz Full Documentary"  on youtube, is Hitler just a victim of war time propaganda?

No matter if it's true or not, anyone with an IQ of over 70 knows that putting Hitler or Stalin in your online name is pushin it.
I was never here, you saw nothing...

Motivational tip: When you wake up in the morning, look in the mirror and say confidently, "That's a nice head you have on your shoulders."
Sweet jesus, that there is even a need for that discussion is kinda sad.. but expected. If there is a player with stalin in his nick, he will get his warnings, if he does not change his name immediately he will recieve a kick and ban (at least from my side).
Wusel @ Omnia
The name Hitler has been and will most likely will forever stigmatised with world war 2 and what happened during and near the end of the war. Because of this any connotation with that name will almost always be related to something that happened during that time period.

A lot of people would like to preserve that period of time, only remembering it when they deem themselves able to. There are obviously people who are interested in the psychological makings of the masterminds of WW2 on both sides of the battlefield. But I don't believe they are interested enough to make a username which is related to Hitler per se.

The number of people named Hitler post WW2 has obviously dropped significantly (see graph below) (plaz mean place in ranking).
[Image: main-qimg-30a8756d2f70f46863fc1b98d91f39dc]
But there are still people being named Hitler, which obviously shows that the connotation is wearing off.

Naming a character Hitler is never something you should do without forethought about what kind of a personality are other people going to perceive yourself as.

The reason why I personally think that person who named themselves Stalin was able to 'get away with it', is because people simply don't learn about him as much. I was taught a huge amount more about WW2 then soviet Russia.

Without trying to sound rude, I think Stalin's monstrosities have also; dare I say it worn away over time. The news nowadays in Britain have no real reason to report about soviet Russia, WW2 however provides ample amounts of coverage for the waiting audience.
As an example today we were able to see all 133 pictures of the dam busters for the first ever time, which was a very interesting read for anyone interested Here and Here.

Sorry for the essay, was listening to music and got carried away.

Thanks,

Chris.
See but heres what I see- The name stalin is ok its just a name, but the guys name is SovietStalin indicating the horrible person he was. I really dont take offense to it but Im sure a lot of people do espically with the soviet part.