Emails are disabled - for account issues, post in #help on the NI Discord.

Poll: Was / Were an amount of presents
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Was
37.50%
15 37.50%
Was
5.00%
2 5.00%
Was
12.50%
5 12.50%
Was
5.00%
2 5.00%
Were
40.00%
16 40.00%
Total 40 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Proper English?
(23-12-2013, 12:19 AM)Kip link Wrote: "There was an amount dropped."
This alters the denotation of the original sentence too much to still be representative in my opinion, "an amount of x" being the important part.
Right, I think that any wise person would know it is "was"
"I'm the DB Captain I deserve a spot in events" - Faravin 2k16

"I am training my biceps, my finger biceps" - Faravin 2k16

Legendary Drops:

Jormungandr - 29th September 2014
Barbutte With Coif -  9th October 2014
Were is correct according to the English dictionary, however either can be used. Were is the most formal, whereas was is less formal.
A poll has been added.
<19:51:48> Channel group "Member" was assigned to "Jack Sparrow" by "Maroon".
<19:51:49> Channel group "Member" was assigned to "Jack Sparrow" by "Fred".
"Were" in my opinion.
I'm studying just now so don't have time to type out a whole nonsense on subjunctive clauses, however suffice to say the correct word in old english in this case is "was". That being said, both was AND were are correct with present english and the gradual decay of the subjunctive tense. This is however rather silly to fight over.
Give a man a fish, and you have fed him for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will continue fishing even if you give him a fish.
- Fingus
(23-12-2013, 12:05 AM)-Perception- link Wrote: (It actually is "were", like in "There were "many"/"an unbelievable amount of" presents dropped", since "an amount of" is quite synonymous to "many".)

It's on! Tongue
In the case of "an unbelievable amount of", the verb is directed towards an amount, which is singular, so it should be "was", while the case of "many presents" directs the verb to the word "presents", which is plural, so it should be "were".
In the case of "were", the subject is "presents", while in the case of "an unbelievable amount of" the subject is "amount".
/grammarlesson
I was never here, you saw nothing...

Motivational tip: When you wake up in the morning, look in the mirror and say confidently, "That's a nice head you have on your shoulders."
Hm, according to someone I've just asked (he is studying anglistics), amount is not even the correct word when used in this context, since it ought to relate to sth immeasurable, so maybe replace it with quantity or number..  Tongue

Anyhow, I am afraid Hyper might be on to sth there.
Do you prefer "a shit load" instead of an amount?
(23-12-2013, 12:45 AM)ON_Dom link Wrote: Perception I don't think anglistics is even a word buddy...  8)

"The study of the English language and of literature written in English."