Emails are disabled - for account issues, post in #help on the NI Discord.

Poll: Would you rather have forced manual block, or keep things the way they are now?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Autoblock
37.50%
21 37.50%
Manual block
62.50%
35 62.50%
Total 56 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

[Poll] Forced Manual Block?
(28-12-2011, 10:03 PM)Aventori link Wrote: Also if a server is going to be manual/auto/both isn't that up to the admin of that server? or does NI have like 10 of its own servers under the NI admins? if someone could clear this up for me that would be great because i have little to no knowledge of the mechanics of M&B
I am the admin of the server, I was just curious about the public's opinion.

If anyone is confused, this poll is for just ONE! server in NA, and there will still be plenty others with autoblock enabled. Think of it as a test run Big Grin
oh well in that case, by all means change it too manual. i thought u wanted to make some ground breaking change to the NI community
Anyone else wish that they could play from the nords perspective?
(28-12-2011, 10:38 PM)Aventori link Wrote: oh well in that case, by all means change it too manual. i thought u wanted to make some ground breaking change to the NI community

It should be placed in every server in my opinion. Being some new players getting into the server and blocking 3-4 swings from multiple opponents is dumb. No challenge once so ever, if it were turned off people could learn. It's really not that difficult, yes it does take practise to get the hang of it but really what game doesn't have some kind of learning curve. A good majority of Native has it turned off, CRPG does, both of those communities are doing fine and get new players daily. I don't really see anyone reason to keep it in besides holding new players hands.
(28-12-2011, 04:33 PM)Johao link Wrote: So is forcing people not to glitch, but there are for the good reasons, as stated above. Remember that this is a mod designed for co-operative teamwork, not individual options, the idea of a game to to give a challenge to the player, if it becomes too easy, then it will easily bore most players.

Two handed Mail men tend to go rambo with morningstars, with autoblock, that's the problem. Even if there is a possibility of a hack, doesnt mean that we should allow autoblock, players will know that staying together would be beneficial in the long run rather than go out and rambo.

I go rambo with a morningstar with manual. Well sometimes. I usually stick with the group unless its a boss round and I just want to suicide.

And when are you closing the poll Earth?
(29-12-2011, 03:01 AM)Taser link Wrote: And when are you closing the poll Earth?
Voting closes: December 31, 2011, 02:30:55 AM

Granted, it basically is a done deal, with manual block leading 30 to 17 at this point, but I might as well let it run all the way through.

I'll be sure to put a note in the welcome message so no one is "forced" to manual block. (You can just leave the server Tongue)
(28-12-2011, 10:11 PM)Earthdforce link Wrote: [quote author=Aventori link=topic=545.msg5716#msg5716 date=1325109829]
Also if a server is going to be manual/auto/both isn't that up to the admin of that server? or does NI have like 10 of its own servers under the NI admins? if someone could clear this up for me that would be great because i have little to no knowledge of the mechanics of M&B
I am the admin of the server, I was just curious about the public's opinion.

If anyone is confused, this poll is for just ONE! server in NA, and there will still be plenty others with autoblock enabled. Think of it as a test run Big Grin
[/quote]

Then sorry for my vote, its not my place to vote for a NA server since i'm an EU player. All i said was for the whole NordInvasion about the blocking.

I see that archers think melee classes are there to hold mobs if they come close, to keep killing them in range; and melee players think archers are there to weaken the wave while infantry kill the mobs Smile . So which one is right? Do you guys expect me to hold a shield and dont move an inch? Guess what, i play to get into melee, to kill them in melee. Dont get me wrong, i dont rush to mobs to kill them alone; i usually stay with the group and only rush front if we have a person left behind. I think staying as a group is the only way to survive in NI. But as an infantry, close fight is the only way for me to get a kill unlike others.

There maybe another reasons for melee classes to rush. Maybe they rush because they know that achers also can kill as much as infantry in melee too, and since they can wear nearly as good armor, infantry may think "So they kill from a range, they kill in melee, and they have as good protection as me. So why should i wait here to protect them? They can protect themselves huh!" Maybe we need more distinctions between classes to improve teamwork. Dont put all the blame on autoblock please.

Also yes, maybe its no challenge while fighting against the first 5-6 waves, but when you're fighting against huscarls, their axes will wake you up that they are not there for a picnic even if you have autoblock...
Attack of the smileys! Beware!
(29-12-2011, 05:32 AM)Ryu link Wrote: I see that archers think melee classes are there to hold mobs if they come close, to keep killing them in range; and melee players think archers are there to weaken the wave while infantry kill the mobs Smile . So which one is right? Do you guys expect me to hold a shield and dont move an inch? Guess what, i play to get into melee, to kill them in melee. Dont get me wrong, i dont rush to mobs to kill them alone; i usually stay with the group and only rush front if we have a person left behind. I think staying as a group is the only way to survive in NI. But as an infantry, close fight is the only way for me to get a kill unlike others.

There maybe another reasons for melee classes to rush. Maybe they rush because they know that achers also can kill as much as infantry in melee too, and since they can wear nearly as good armor, infantry may think "So they kill from a range, they kill in melee, and they have as good protection as me. So why should i wait here to protect them? They can protect themselves huh!" Maybe we need more distinctions between classes to improve teamwork. Dont put all the blame on autoblock please.

Also yes, maybe its no challenge while fighting against the first 5-6 waves, but when you're fighting against huscarls, their axes will wake you up that they are not there for a picnic even if you have autoblock...

1. It is more resourceful for you to stay back while the archers weaken the enemies as they advance towards your position, if you charge in first, archers will have a hard time trying to weaken them and may even end up with a Friendly Fire Frenzy because of you blocking their line of fire.

2. Guess what shieldwalls and barricades are for?

3. Rushing is a problem that inhibits players to do the same cycle all over again, the same tactic all over again is to charge, and regardless of how the players stay together, they always come unprepared to the close proximity to the spawn point. It's definitely irritating to rinse and repeat the same 6th wave.

4. As we said before in the previous post, just so we should make it clear, it isn't all about the KILLS that we're concerned about in this game, it's about TEAMWORK.. If you're worried that you dont get to the top 5 in the kill ratio count, then i'm afraid you're in the wrong mod.

5. Two-handed players with no idea how to defend themselves whatsoever can just push the panic button and protect themselves with autoblock. Teamwork is supposed to pay off with the team's efficency in their co-operation, the autoblock is an issue that prevents people from staying together more often.
[Image: 2n6u4ux.png]
For the Honour of the Fallen Swadians.
towork is great and all, and the point of this mod is to have teamwork but the point of it all (atleast in the players mind) is to get xp. And no matter what you do wheather it be something annoying like remove autoblock or something big like make a peasent have a 2h sword people will rush as long as this mod is up.

@sequel

if crpg, native, and other mods don't use autoblock that's great..you want to know why they dont? Because majority of the time its players vs players not players vs bots, outnumbered 10-1. Besides iv tried to do manual a fair share of times (many, many, many,many time) and no matter what i do...if you put me in a crpg server i WILL die in less then 30 seconds, i literally would not be able to block. This game isn't a shooter were if you continue to play you'll get better, it takes a certain "skill" (if you want to call it that) to be able to block in this game. And some/most of the people on earth cant, which is why M&B isn't an extremely popular game.

Also can people stop comparing this mod to crpg? its getting really annoying, if you think crpg is so almighty... by all means go play it.

Anyone else wish that they could play from the nords perspective?
(29-12-2011, 09:08 AM)Aventori link Wrote: towork is great and all, and the point of this mod is to have teamwork but the point of it all (atleast in the players mind) is to get xp. And no matter what you do wheather it be something annoying like remove autoblock or something big like make a peasent have a 2h sword people will rush as long as this mod is up.

@sequel

if crpg, native, and other mods don't use autoblock that's great..you want to know why they dont? Because majority of the time its players vs players not players vs bots, outnumbered 10-1. Besides iv tried to do manual a fair share of times (many, many, many,many time) and no matter what i do...if you put me in a crpg server i WILL die in less then 30 seconds, i literally would not be able to block. This game isn't a shooter were if you continue to play you'll get better, it takes a certain "skill" (if you want to call it that) to be able to block in this game. And some/most of the people on earth cant, which is why M&B isn't an extremely popular game.

Also can people stop comparing this mod to crpg? its getting really annoying, if you think crpg is so almighty... by all means go play it.

Exactly why M&B isn't an extremely popular game, it's the difficulty and the need of skill that players buy this game. If you would think that manual block would deter players from playing this mod, then they certainly do not see eye-to-eye to the concept of a "co-op" game. Mind you, it isnt a shooter, as you said(practically most modern shooters in the market dont need half a watt to play actually), the mod will certainly go stale if all everyone does is to kill and repeat for exp, and taking out 20 bots single-handedly. The main point of this game is to beat the odds even with handicaps such as manual blocking.

cRPG might have such handicaps like repair and manual blocks, but it's own difficulty and balance is the reason why it is still surviving today and so many players are still playing it.

If manual block is implemented, there are many methods to protect yourself, such as shields, environmental props and horse riding. Autoblock is something that is predictable that it isnt a challenge at all.
[Image: 2n6u4ux.png]
For the Honour of the Fallen Swadians.
(29-12-2011, 09:31 AM)Johao link Wrote: Exactly why M&B isn't an extremely popular game, it's the difficulty and the need of skill that players buy this game. If you would think that manual block would deter players from playing this mod, then they certainly do not see eye-to-eye to the concept of a "co-op" game....The main point of this game is to beat the odds even with handicaps such as manual blocking....

cRPG might have such handicaps like repair and manual blocks, but it's own difficulty and balance is the reason why it is still surviving today and so many players are still playing it.

To be honest, i agree in principle with everything you have just said. I personally LOVE the manual block and exactly as you describe it part of the whole attraction to mount and blade was the difficulty/skill needed to play at any decent level.

However...

I am painfully aware that outside of this forum (and possibly the main M&B forums) I am in an overall minority. I believe that most of the people in this thread voting yes for manual block are also in this minority.

Allow me to explain, before this mod came along (and mount and musket and CRPG and others Tongue) the main attraction to the multiplayer on this game to me was 22nd siege server. I love the siege and the whole combat element that goes along with it. fighting your way backwards up a set of stairs whilst holding off 5 people, standing behind a door whilst seeing and hearing it steadily being battered down, not really knowing whats beyond the door apart from its going to be sharp and trying to kill you...

now, fast forward a few months, i'm bored of playing by myself and would like to get some of my IRL friends onto the game with me (clans excluded from my point for the moment) This mod allowed me to get 2 of my friends into this game and the main point i had to use with them was the auto block. one of them is now a commando infantry character and consistently kicks large amounts of nord arse whilst helping to keep my own arse out of the (healing) fire, but if he were forced to use manual block he would not play at all and i would once again be by myself.

I'm fully aware of the elitism within the gaming community and for the most part I would agree myself but the mount and blade community as you have said yourself is quite a small one and by forcing particular methods you are cutting that group even smaller and therefore cutting the size of, if you'll pardon the phrase, your target market.

In an ideal world it would be possible for the player himself to select whether its auto or manual block but i'm aware that its not possible here due to how the bots are coded? not sure about that one so please don't flame if incorrect.

the TL;DR version: Manual block awesome if person blocking is awesome, personally am awesome Big Grin, majority of friends not and i like to play with my friends who would leave if forced to manual block. 

Thanks.
And when we get to heaven,
To st peter we will tell,
One more soldier reporting sir,
Iv'e served my time in hell.

contribute to the weapon progression documentationL http://forum.nordinvasion.com/index.php/...g8846.html