Emails are disabled - for account issues, post in #help on the NI Discord.

Poll: Should the Death Penalty be allowed?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
20.69%
6 20.69%
No
41.38%
12 41.38%
Maybe, with strict ground rules
37.93%
11 37.93%
Total 29 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Opinions about the Death Penalty?
(02-08-2016, 11:04 AM)Bubbles Wrote:
(02-08-2016, 10:39 AM)[UK]_Kaas Wrote:
(02-08-2016, 09:47 AM)Bubbles Wrote: What is your opinion about the Death Penalty?

In my opinion, this is a really good punishment, I think if someone murders two or more, they should be executed, I would hope that this punishment should be renewed/allowed in New Zealand
(Man slaughter does not count)
This is a weird thing to talk about, but opinion would be appreciated
This is not a joke or a troll question, this is a serious post, comparing opinions

Why do you think it's a really good punishment?
There are some horrible people in the world, it's nearly every day when I hear that a family member kills his family, normally the kids aswell, which is the worst type of crime, when children are the victims of crime such as murder or molesting etc, that ruins the life of the child and the family's, one way to find peace is if the murderer or molester dies, my keyboard is lagging on my phone I will finish this off tomorro

Well, this topic is also difficult do discuss worldwide. There is huge differences between cultures and legal systems across the world.

I live in Denmark.
When committing homicide intentionally, you are sentenced to 5 years to life. A life sentence in Denmark is maximum 16 years, depending on the situation. The longest sentence of life, were 32 years. (Palle Sørensen killed four cops, in 1966. In 1998, he was pardoned and is now a free man and is currently 89 years old)

In some situation and it need to be extreme, I would agree with the death penalty, however the cost of it is tremendous.

To actually sentence someone to death, we would all agree that we needed to be damn sure of the convicted persons guilt. And making sure of this, makes it really expensive. In Florida, an average execution from start to finish cost 24 million dollars. In Texas it's 2.3 million, but still 3 times higher than the cost of prison for life. A study in California showed that USA have used 4 billion dollars on the death penalty since 1978.

Death penalty is also really not good as a prevention of crime. It's difficult to relay to your mind that you are going to die, if you do something specific. And most homicides are spontaneous and done by people that know their victims. The thought of our own death in that spontaneous moment would not change anything.

But none the less, good topic. I did attend a course on my degree last semester called Criminology, and it was actually really interesting. To discuss matters such as death penalty and "who do we punish in general". But also a lot more about why do people do crime. In my mind, we are better of investing in preventing methods than increasing punishments and introducing death penalty.
Don't trust a lying sack of shit (Takeo)
The trouble with imprisonment is that living conditions are quite often next to luxury. I live like 40 km from heavy prison, they have tv, computers with internet, gym, library, hospital and a swimming pool there. I'm affraid tennis court is missing. They can play NI if they wish to. Also: severe crimes perpetrators are isolated, so they won't get hurt by other prisoners.
Then, "life in prison" may mean 10-15 years. An example from the said prison is L. Pekalski: he's confessed to had committed 90 murders in the years 1984-92. He was sentenced to 25 years in prison, highest possible sentence at that time. He is 50 years old and he will walk free next year.
Hey remember that Norwegian mass murderer who killed 77 people in 2011? Yeah, we've spent tons of money keeping him locked up, which is way more expensive than in most other countries. I say we just off him be done with him.

(02-08-2016, 01:07 PM)Bobo Wrote: The trouble with imprisonment is that living conditions are quite often next to luxury.
That's because you live in a country where the purpose of imprisonment is rehabilitation, not punishment. Look up your country's re-offending rates, they may surprise you.
(02-08-2016, 02:16 PM)Soviet Wrote: Hey remember that Norwegian mass murderer who killed 78 people in 2011? Yeah, we've spent tons of money keeping him locked up, which is way more expensive than in most other countries. I say we just off him be done with him.

(02-08-2016, 01:07 PM)Bobo Wrote: The trouble with imprisonment is that living conditions are quite often next to luxury.
That's because you live in a country where the purpose of imprisonment is rehabilitation, not punishment. Look up your country's re-offending rates, they may surprise you.
Yeah, I know. The question is: is the rehabilitation possible in all cases? And what is the risk if it won't work?
PS. According to different sources the re-offending rate here is 40-50%. That's rather high I think.
(02-08-2016, 02:43 PM)Bobo Wrote:
(02-08-2016, 02:16 PM)Soviet Wrote: Hey remember that Norwegian mass murderer who killed 78 people in 2011? Yeah, we've spent tons of money keeping him locked up, which is way more expensive than in most other countries. I say we just off him be done with him.

Yeah, I know. The question is: is the rehabilitation possible in all cases? And what is the risk if it won't work?
PS. According to different sources the re-offending rate here is 40-50%. That's rather high I think.

Rehabilitation is not possible in all cases, hence why I support death penalty. Also your country is doing it wrong, as we have luxury prisons and a re-offending rate of 20%.
Yes, kill all the social parasites. Context: from the US, where the recidivism rate from 400k people released in 2005 (in the form of rearrest) is a bit over 2 in 3 within 3 years, and a bit over 3 in 4 within 5 years.
Quote Board is on Discord (last updated 2023.09.07)
"When I feel bad, I read your quote board." - Corndog

Tofu: People call Tricksters racist, yet we have the most Muslim members of any house.
PCK: If Islam is a religion of peace, and Tricksters have the most Muslims, then is House of Tricksters the house of peace?
Falankos: I always knew that we were the good guys.
No.
It is much more expensive than life in prison, and the state shouldn't have the ability to take it's own citizens' lives. 
The only time where the death penalty was efficient and somewhat successful was in Communist Russia when the KGB would just swipe you off the street and shoot you in the back of the head in an alley. However, I am not for that, and most people aren't either.
(02-08-2016, 04:45 PM)KMOCHA Wrote: It is much more expensive than life in prison.
Source? That seems hard to believe.

Edit: Nevermind, looked it up myself. I guess costs vary from country to country, as a life sentence would be way more expensive here.
(02-08-2016, 11:48 AM)ChuckyD Wrote: Rather put them in isolation, better and harsher punishement imo

If you pay for it, sure
(02-08-2016, 05:12 PM)Soviet Wrote:
(02-08-2016, 04:45 PM)KMOCHA Wrote: It is much more expensive than life in prison.
Source? That seems hard to believe.

Edit: Nevermind, looked it up myself. I guess costs vary from country to country, as a life sentence would be way more expensive here.
there are a lot, but one of the specific ones is deathpenaltyinfo.org. For some of the costs of the death penalty: More expensive trial, nearly unlimited amount of retrials and new scraps of evidence that have to be brought up, and a very long waiting period for the actual punishment. In addition, executions via lethal injection are very expensive.