Emails are disabled - for account issues, post in #help on the NI Discord.

Pikeman melee rebalance proposal.
Sorry if i didnt read, miss something etc. before posting and sorry in advance if i'm saying too much than i should, Just know that i love all of you guys alot Smile. (and also sorry for my bad English skills Tongue )

Now, i tried to explain current pikeman's lack of usefulness at every corner of this forum as much as i can since i love playing as one. Now let me try it one more time here Tongue.

-As a pikeman i can tell you that the speed of this class is not that much of a plus for pikemen, because the "lone barbarian" can nearly run as fast as a pikeman (my main char. is commando+half skirmisher) if he wears lighter armors. But pikeman cant wear shit, thats a simple fact... And please dont get that as "commandos needs a nerf" because they really dont, but pikeman should run faster; although i wonder where they will run lol (i'll come to that later).

-Thowing accuracy of pikeman is very very disturbing, and since nearly every nord out there have a shield you "have to" be close to your target to hit where you actually aim for. Its not a problem if you are throwing in mass of nords at front of a shield wall, but it would be fun to be able to hit where you actually aim for ingame especially if you are a master skirmisher...

-Reach of Pikeman may be seen as a plus but since commandos also have nice weapons for that reach, pikeman here again have no benefit over commandos. Overhead attack you say? Dont forget if you are hitting exactly behind of a shielder you loose some of that range too.

-Again about throwing, skirmishers dont have enough of throwing weapons in 1 slot at their current conditions. Let me explain a bit; You hit shields, you miss your target most of the time or cant hit where you actually aim for, you are not doing great damage even when you hit. So even if i use 3 slots of mine with full of throwing weapons(by reloading supply slots too if you want to have a main weapon lol), i can kill about what, 5-10 nords with all of those? (in hard mode ofcourse but i'm lv52 so...). One of the suggestions i read here is also a good one, pikeman only throwing weapons can have "bonus against shields" speciality.

-Since i have to use my throwing weps at close-medium range, if i miss, if the nord catch my jav. magicly where he shouldnt, or even if i hit and nord doesnt die; i have to switch to my polearm instantly but that ends %50+ of the time me getting hit at least once. Now, since pikeman's lack of armors, that hit probably is the end for me...

-Now as we know that skirmishers have to be mobile, fast runner class. Can someone please explain to me that "Where the hell skirmisher will run??!" As the latest map updates (please no hard feelings, i just feel useless as pikeman at all of those maps right now) NI is becoming more and more of a "lets build a nest at most suitable tight corner and wait+pray that the nord mass dont get pass our fragile walls"... So as a skirmisher where do i use my speed? For running in (25m^2) to enjoy myself and say something like "Dude see how fast i can run, Hell YEAH!!!". I know we have no cavalry, but i still think we need big, open maps to enjoy and taste something different than what we have now. The old overgrown map was that needed blood for me, it tasted really different while it lasted and i enjoyed kiting there(yeah even with my commando); running with archers, protecting them or even sacrificing to buy them a bit more time so they can manage what i couldnt at our sacred war lol. Now its again building a nest there like the rest Sad.

------------------------------

So here are my suggestions to balance the shit out of it. Note that i'll assume that we wont have any more open maps where we can kite anymore (not that Pikeman can kite that well like arhers lol).

--- Balancing Commando and Pikeman to make them equal (by not nerfing but maybe changing the Commando just a little). How;

- Commandos are using 2handed weapons and 1handed+shields. Take every shield skills of Pikeman away (yeah "300" funs might not like that idea but please wait for the next suggestion lol) and (maybe) add some more into Commando class. So while Commandos can use 2handed swords and become the masters of shield using; Pikeman can use polearms and throwing weapons. Thats it, if you want to use shields you pick Commando, if you want to use throwing weapons you pick Pikeman-skirmisher.

- Let Pikemen to use as good armors or the same armors as Commandos. That way it will all come down to what you want to pick i mentioned above, shields or throwing weapons.

- When its about being slashers, make Commando weapons(2harders) fast with at most medium range, and make Pikeman weapons more damaging(to equal damage over time because of the weapon speed) with medium-long range and slow-medium speed. Dont bend this rule maybe even with legendaries, if people want range in melee Pikeman must come to their mind, not some special Commando legendary weapon. So make the most of the reach of 2hander at most, maybe around 140. Give all 140+ range to Pikemen. (if i know that one correct, please remember that because of the holding points of polearms, 140 reach on 2hander can hit further than a polearm of the same reach stat, so add this into calculation when deciding the shortest range of Skirmishers).

-Dont let commandos to use any kind of polearm no matter what(Sun Pike?), make them Pikeman only weapons. If you can, dont even let them to pick them from the ground. Not only commandos, no one exept Pikeman could use polearms.

-Dont worry too much about the speed of Pikeman. Why? Because if you let them have good-equal armors as commandos, weight will balance that out for you. Yeah pikeman can be a bit quicker than commandos, so what? Remember that because of lack of shields, Pikeman is always open for ranged attacks. That way, Pikeman cant shield themselves from ranged attacks but they can dodge better than Commandos, I say that makes them even.

- I know some of the suggestions i made here can make some commandos unhappy(probably 140 reach at most one). But we must face that right now half of our numbers are all Commandos(infantry) while the rest is from other classes. Remember that we must make people to choose what they want; not them to pick "the best" class(which is commando between these two). Yes, shorten the reach but while doing it, make those long 2handers faster, or give them some special abilities like "bonus against shields", "usable as 1handed/2handed". So those commandos can still be happy with their cool weapons Smile. But if they want long reach in melee, it-must-be-Pikeman!

------------------------------

OR;

Give us more open maps where we can kite while giving Pikeman more speed, more accuracy with throwing and maybe "shield damager" ability. I prefer this one(since it was shorter to write lol), but if we wont be allowed to run freely, suggestions i did by balancing Commando and Pikeman is the only way to make Skirmisher a "choice".

And; read the all of it, its from a long time Pikeman who is also a Commando fanatic dude...

-----

Btw Wow Lanseril great work i say.
Attack of the smileys! Beware!

Messages In This Thread
Pikeman melee rebalance proposal. - by Lanseril - 08-06-2012, 12:53 PM
Re: Pikeman melee rebalance proposal. - by Kwal - 08-06-2012, 01:04 PM
Re: Pikeman melee rebalance proposal. - by Senni - 08-06-2012, 06:10 PM
Re: Pikeman melee rebalance proposal. - by Jarold - 09-06-2012, 04:11 AM
Re: Pikeman melee rebalance proposal. - by Ryu - 09-06-2012, 06:42 PM
Re: Pikeman melee rebalance proposal. - by Hande - 26-06-2012, 08:51 PM