Emails are disabled - for account issues, post in #help on the NI Discord.

Alchemist Ability Ideas
Golem on Wikipedia. Can't remember it all, but something to do with jewish folklore and a alchemist if I remember correct.
(21-12-2011, 06:44 PM)Kwal link Wrote:

Link us!
[/quote]

Meh I read it in some history books about alchemy, but when using google I can only find game references. I´ll see if I can´t retrace those books and refer them.
Anyway some alchemists, way back when, tried to create 'living' clay and called them golems after the biblical story (they found the whole divination process very inspiring and by duplicating it hoped to make make themselves pure). There have been found some writings about Albertus Magnus (teacher of Thomas Aquinas) who supposedly created such a golem which was later on smashed by Thomas as being unchristian.

E: not machines by the way, scusi Tongue
[/quote]

So it holds about as much merit as the philosopher's stone, some alchemy legend, supposedly said to have been achieved in papers but with no proof of it, I can just as easily write I ascended and I'm the new Buddha in some history book, doesn't make it right.

History books also have a reputation of being extremely biased and full of shit.
I think you just read the wrong ones, there are a lot of quality books out there. Anyway I wasn't saying it actually happened (nor did my books for that matter, I don't know where you got that idea).
I made a response to dextaa who wanted me to support the statement that a minion wouldn't be a weird addition for an alchemist because they did in fact dabble in the whole creating life business, thus not being related to the fantasy D&D you stated.

I think the problem here is that you dislike the idea of a character like an alchemist being able to create mysterious stuff in this mod, which I understand but don't agree with. I think it's a fun addition.

E: Yes, there is the danger of the craft becoming overpowered, but I trust Jez will keep it fair between Alchemist, Blacksmith and Armorsmith.

Double E (unrelated):

(21-12-2011, 06:51 PM)Conqueror_Worm link Wrote: Golem on Wikipedia. Can't remember it all, but something to do with jewish folklore and a alchemist if I remember correct.

Yea, I think it was in the old testament as well but can't say for sure. Alchemists tried to recreate the story and thus become divine
(21-12-2011, 07:55 PM)Kwal link Wrote: I think you just read the wrong ones, there are a lot of quality books out there. Anyway I wasn't saying it actually happened (nor did my books for that matter, I don't know where you got that idea).
I made a response to dextaa who wanted me to support the statement that a minion wouldn't be a weird addition for an alchemist because they did in fact dabble in the whole creating life business, thus not being related to the fantasy D&D you stated.

I think the problem here is that you dislike the idea of a character like an alchemist being able to create mysterious stuff in this mod, which I understand but don't agree with. I think it's a fun addition.

E: Yes, there is the danger of the craft becoming overpowered, but I trust Jez will keep it fair between Alchemist, Blacksmith and Armorsmith.

Double E (unrelated):

[quote author=Conqueror_Worm link=topic=459.msg4666#msg4666 date=1324493479]
Golem on Wikipedia. Can't remember it all, but something to do with jewish folklore and a alchemist if I remember correct.

Yea, I think it was in the old testament as well but can't say for sure. Alchemists tried to recreate the story and thus become divine
[/quote]

Well as I've said, I don't mind a minimal amount of occult stuff, just not full on summoning and minions and stuff.
Well currently we have spawning horses. Cursed stones. And those shields armourers can put down. You don't like fantasy games? Well your into one.

About summoning minions, as I said it could all be properly balanced to make it work. And no one would be forcing you to do play in a certain way anyways. Also, just mindlesly cutting down bots all the time with a sword all the time might get boring..
(21-12-2011, 10:05 PM)Phalanx300 link Wrote: Well currently we have spawning horses. Cursed stones. And those shields armourers can put down. You don't like fantasy games? Well your into one.

About summoning minions, as I said it could all be properly balanced to make it work. And no one would be forcing you to do play in a certain way anyways. Also, just mindlesly cutting down bots all the time with a sword all the time might get boring..

I don't really consider spawning horses fantasy since to me it just feels like they've been added because armorsmith or weaponsmith also making horses would have been weird, so they just had to add horses somewhere and they did it to alchemy.

Cursed stones to me are just a small fun gimmick, as I've said, I'm fine with a small amount of occult stuff or extremely low amount of magic that borders religion more than anything else such as a prayer or call or something that would give you a very very slight boost to damage or speed or something.

As for the deployable shields, I don't have a single clue how that's fantasy, in real life people deployed shields too, is it the way they're put down or how much you can carry? That's just the engine's limitation and lack of proper animations and stuff, hardly fantasy.
And how about the new planned feature to revive people as Healers? Or the altar to pray to in order to gain live?  :-\
(21-12-2011, 11:22 PM)Phalanx300 link Wrote: And how about the new planned feature to revive people as Healers? Or the altar to pray to in order to gain live?  :-\

As I've said in my previous post, I can deal with a small amount of occult/magic and stuff like praying for a slight bonus is alright, as long as it's not something blatantly fantastic like a big ass golem smacking peasants across the face and filling the other half my screen that's not full of teammates blocking my way when I'm trying to shoot people on my archer.

I can also deal with healers because it's easy to just disregard skeletons and just pass it as a Doctor healing the wounded, I'm not asking for games to be lifelike realistic, I just don't want blatant fantasy shit like magic missiles or golems, 90% of the time on my Cavalry or Archer I'm already immensely pissed at people either getting in my way, stopping my horse and making me die or people JUMPING in the way of my shots ALL THE FUCKING TIME BECAUSE HURR HOW DO I NOT JUMP EVERYWHERE LIKE AN IDIOT so that I damage myself and waste arrows.

Now I'd have to deal with stupid fantasy golems with shitty pathfinding ontop of that? Good god.
The alchemist seems like he should just be a maker of potions and random oddities -- constrained by the physics of reality. The alchemist is more of a conman than a scientist, relying on the effects of placebo and foolish peasant superstition. All supposed supernatural or magical happenings are explainable: the summoned pony is just a pony the alchemist bartered with a farmer for. The cursed stones are actually rocks infused with a potent mix of chemicals that create a small explosion when acted upon with enough force.

Any healing properties of the shrine are from the increased confidence of the user and a result of the fervor of those who give their prayers. Delirious and hanging on for dear life, these men and women fighting for Swadia have little hope for survival, so they grasp for whatever they can, thus giving them superhuman vitality (also hidden under the shrine is a stash of arrows and shields). That makes sense, right?
ba da bing ba da BAN! -Hypernoma
(21-12-2011, 10:05 PM)Phalanx300 link Wrote: Well currently we have spawning horses. Cursed stones. And those shields armourers can put down. You don't like fantasy games? Well your into one.

How could it? anyone that doesn't take alchemist could not use the "summon a minion" ability and then it would make it automatically unbalanced, there would be no balance unless smiths and armourers get some kind of powerful abilities to use ingame too.

Spawning horses doesn't even seem like fantasy, you just spawn with a little pony just like you normally spawn with a horse in Warband, cursed stones does not tell me "fantasy". Plus how would a Deployable shield be fantasy? you carry it and place it down like a barricade, fantasy? lol.