Emails are disabled - for account issues, post in #help on the NI Discord.

Legionnaire Shielding Skill
Ok for some more info.  Last night I finally got the Swadain Resilience crafted. I shielded at our event and on Entranced they did fine because we barreled, on Heavy huscarls i had 3 full ones and they all broke. and the next wave i had 2 and they both broke.  This is with several slashers with stone mauls, and good ranged backup.
Steam name:  Sargeant Q

I'm not legionnare but i feel i would like to say if you wanted to roleplay it a bit let the legionnare be able to use the tower shield instead of the shielding increase
AFG

Could I get a Dev response here?

(22-07-2014, 01:09 AM)Sargent Q link Wrote: Could I get a Dev response here?

Do you honestly need a developer response?
YOU aren't satisfied with the shield skill of Legionnaire. That's fine. The legionnaire is not BUILT for shielding. It's not what the class is about. Legionnaire has an exceptional one-handed skill, and of all things holy, the ability to throw weapons. To be honest, giving the class more shielding skill than the average Commando is already overpowered, because the class still has the ability to do the damage of a Commando two-hander with a shield and throwing weapons to boot. If you don't like the Legionnaire's skills and what it is made for, you shouldn't have chosen it.

I don't mean to sound or be harsh or mean here. If I am, I'm sorry - but really, it doesn't need a buff. Cut damage alone got a buff, so stacking another buff on a class that doesn't need it will make it more overpowered than it already is. Sure, its throwing skill isn't the best, but its shield skill should be still enough to hold the line in a sticky situation, or its blade to end an enemy that has gotten through the barricades. The class has essentially all of the uses; just because it's based around one-handed doesn't mean the game took anything away from two-handed when you went hero. Just because it isn't royal guard doesn't mean it doesn't have a shield. Just because it isn't pikeman doesn't mean it doesn't throw spears. The class is good in different ways from Zweihander and Royal Guard, but that doesn't mean it isn't good.

-Terath
if you have problem of the model variety send it to winter xen winter me winter me xen because it'll piss him off
So your saying that the 9 out of 10 pubic runs that i shield are doomed to fail?  Public runs do not have the communication to have a backup shielder ready for when my shields break on wave 16. Nor the shields necessarily either. And almost defiantly not on wave 17. And what do you mean cut damage got a buff?

ok finally came up with a good argument for this.

so, the Zweihander excels at cutting things with big swords that require two hands, hence you can see why their shield skill is lower than that of the royal guard or pavisse. terath states that the legionnaire excells in 1 handed weaponry, which is exactly that...one handed. the idea of having a one handed weapon is so that you can couple that with a shield to defend yourself. i see no point in making a class skilled in the art of 1h weapons but give them shields will break with ease against the onslaught of nordic axes. to do this goes against the very idea of 1 handed weaponry. it is my firm belief that the Legionnaire either deserves access to better shields or preferably an increase of shield proficiency to 9 shielding. i mean why have a 1h class only to leave your free hand to waste, you get no extra bonuses from having the empty slot and i feel 8 shield skill for NI is similar to an empty spot for a class designed to get up close and personal with the enemy.
i like what madjosh is saying there.

I was thinking of mentioning as well that, if not giving legion a buff (which doesn't seem likely), why not open up the availability of Pavise/RG only shields?
Characters:
Deerheart: Royal ShielDeer | Eikthyrnir: Antlered Legionnaire | Cernunnos: Pavise ShielDeer | CerynianHind: Master of Pelts | Hart_Or: HalberDeer | Furcifer: Warden of the Wood
What madjosh said was what I was trying to say at the beginning of the thread.  Thank you madjosh.  I'm not sure I like the idea of getting access to the RG and PC shields as that would negate the reason to go them.

I agree with Madjosh. But instead of other opening up other shields to Legionnaire as it would defeat the purpose, how about legionnaire having its own line of shields? Like, shields that are better than Commando shields but aren't quite as good as Royal Guard shields? So it would feel a little bit more effective on the battlefield.
if you have problem of the model variety send it to winter xen winter me winter me xen because it'll piss him off
Forget all of those ugly shields, give us the... The TOWER SHIELD!!! Big Grin

Please.  I need this.

Erm, but anyways, Legionnaire stats are already crazy and all over the place.  Keep in mind that if they get a +1 shield increase, it kind of makes going Royal Guard silly as they'd only get 1 more shield point (Pavise shows that this isn't a hue deal) and 1 more ironflesh (+2hp when you already have 42, so kind of silly) and access to other shields (and some armor) whereas the Legionnaire gets a huge selection of 1h weapons, higher 1h skill, and all of that throwing, which is admittedly pretty bad.  I'd rather the direction the go with be less encroaching on another hero class and more a boost to its own specialty, specifically the terrible sub-T3 throwing skill they get.

Just an idea to throw out there, don't mean to be disagreeing with anyone.