Emails are disabled - for account issues, post in #help on the NI Discord.

Please clarify the "etiquette" speaking in english
Hello there,

in the past weeks I did see that alot of people start getting offended?/ that people speak in other languages than english, and sometimes even report them for that.
They argue that they break a rule.

But nowhere in the rules is it mention that you have to speak english.
Further down under Etiquette it says:

Quote:Please try to speak English when holding conversations in NordInvasion's Warband servers. If we get a report of abusive language not in English, we unfortunately often cannot determine the validity of the report.

For me this means, you can speak in german, russian, french and so on. You don't have to speak english, you maybe should do it for a better conversation but there is no force to do.

My questions are now:
Do we have to speak in english or not?
Is there a point in game where you have to start speaking in english?
Can you get kicked for talking in another language by an admin?

For me now I would answer all those questions with No.
If my understanding is wrong and you can actually get kicked for that, I would realy like to see that this would move up to the rules.

Again in my opinion an etiquette for me is something you can follow but you don't have to, and it does not have a negative effect for you if you don't follow it.
A rules is something you have to follow and get punished if you don't follow it.

If an admin request that you speak english and you keep talking in another language ignoring him, is another story for me.
Than a kick is deserved.

greetings Enaroh
Characters: DB_Queens_Guard - DB_Ria_Valentine - DB_Mia_Valentine - DB_Larzarus - DB_Rilius - DB_Legiata

31.08.2018 - Black Arrows
16.02.2019 - Bulwark of Swadia
17.02.2019 - Pike of Kings
23.07.2019 - Mjolnir
29.12.2019 - Ornate Scale Armour
08.03.2020 - Pike of Kings

Proud member of the URGF.
I think its polite to speak english, but nobody should care if a few sentences under friends are in other languages.
If it is annoying just dont look at it.
All my legendaries show my pure Gameskill. Savecall.
According to the Merriam Webster dictionary:

Quote:Learner's definition of ETIQUETTE
[noncount]
: the rules indicating the proper and polite way to behave
- Her failure to respond to the invitation was a serious breach of etiquette.
- a book of etiquette
- telephone etiquette [=the proper way to behave when speaking on the telephone]

By breaching the etiquette too much your account might get flagged as being disruptive wich could lead to the removal of your character from the server.
I am usually fine with a couple of words being said in other languages, but when entire conversations are held it's a different story. Think of that some of your teammates will not be able to understand what is being said and seeing the message as nothing more then a weird sentence. If this occurs too often it might look like spamming. I usually have this issue with how the game prints Cyrillic characters in game; a couple of them is fine, but entire conversations look nothing more then spam to me.

I think anyone is more then capable to hold a conversation in English or could at least try to and I encourage that if you would like to hold a conversation in your native language that there are other platforms to do so as well (Steam etc).
Well, there are some ppl who can't speak English and what should they do to communicate? To give an example, there's a long time player (very good player and a very nice guy) named Zublon. For most of the time he speaks nothing but sometimes he gives a warning to the team or similar and he can only do it in Russian.

Also, should we apply the same rules to voice chat during events?
(22-03-2019, 06:38 AM)Bobo Wrote: Also, should we apply the same rules to voice chat during events?

I'm pretty sure voice chat during events is entirely up to the house members, as it is their own event and people outside of the house are just guests. Some houses also use their own teamspeak servers or even discord, so I won't see how NI rules would apply there.
I'm against holding conversations in other languages (than english) on the official servers, because it makes the communication unclear for most of our multicultural community members. As Kaasovic said you can use a lot of other platforms, we do have an official teamspeak server with public channels that everyone is free to use.
Hey ; - )

[Image: Geralt]
(22-03-2019, 08:18 AM)PioPio Wrote:
(22-03-2019, 06:38 AM)Bobo Wrote: Also, should we apply the same rules to voice chat during events?

I'm pretty sure voice chat during events is entirely up to the house members, as it is their own event and people outside of the house are just guests. Some houses also use their own teamspeak servers or even discord, so I won't see how NI rules would apply there.
I'm against holding conversations in other languages (than english) on the official servers, because it makes the communication unclear for most of our multicultural community members. As Kaasovic said you can use a lot of other platforms, we do have an official teamspeak server with public channels that everyone is free to use.

As PioPio said it's up to the house

To be clear the admin team is aware there are some people who don't speak English
Unfortunately we can't apply different rules to them cause at some point people who can use English just fine would start trying to get the same thing and we have no way to tell which is which

I would recommend using TS or steam or some other platform to talk in another language
English is the standardised language of this mod.

There are plenty of players who have learnt English to some extent through playing this mod, it is certainly not outside the realm of possibility to learn basic phrases to communicate especially as certain players highlighted have been playing for quite literally half a decade and so a basic understanding by now is a perfectly reasonable expectation.

Simply put, the mod has decided on English, it is far easier for everyone to learn some basic English than for everyone to try to learn the myriad of languages present from the various countries that play NI.
Dreaded War Pick - 13/05/2018 - Loke
Fell Edge - 29/06/2018 - Tyr
Dragon Halberd - 05/08/2018 - Einherjar Berserker
Zephyr - 30/09/2018 - Odin
New players often want to ask something and can't because admins enforcing English-only policy.

That leads to new players decline of playing this mod.

While I agree that speaking languages other then English in game chat should be minimized, sometimes it's critical for successful defence to say something in new player native language so he can understand and does not wipe the whole team.

Separated language-board on the forums where new players would be able to ask their questions and not corrupt game chat would be nice addition. Mainly I speak about Russian and German ones as they're most spoken languages in game-chat outside English, may be Polish one too. Many games have "other languages" section on their forums, I'm surprised that NI doesn't.
(22-03-2019, 12:00 PM)Forward Wrote: New players often want to ask something and can't because admins enforcing English-only policy.

That leads to new players decline of playing this mod.

While I agree that speaking languages other then English in game chat should be minimized, sometimes it's critical for successful defence to say something in new player native language so he can understand and does not wipe the whole team.

Separated language-board on the forums where new players would be able to ask their questions and not corrupt game chat would be nice addition. Mainly I speak about Russian and German ones as they're most spoken languages in game-chat outside English, may be Polish one too. Many games have "other languages" section on their forums, I'm surprised that NI doesn't.

NI does have other languages section have you read the forums...

EDIT: They removed it I forgot. It was never used so its clearly not useful
Dreaded War Pick - 13/05/2018 - Loke
Fell Edge - 29/06/2018 - Tyr
Dragon Halberd - 05/08/2018 - Einherjar Berserker
Zephyr - 30/09/2018 - Odin
There were Sub Forums for alot of language most of em didnt get alot of attention tho
Legendary Loots :
12.02.2017 Plate over Leather
4.03.2018   Defender Boots

"WS is full of scrubs like Thunder" Eyleen
"It was a hot day and i was annoyed " Lord Montagu 
"You can buy 2 Twigs for one Valsgarde" Managarm
"Banterin stop killing you are making my score look stupid" Qrvishion
"Wait arent you PCK? lol" VLKA_Julia